Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can see wifi network, can't connect on Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Re: Can see wifi network, can't connect on Ubuntu 12.04

I'd consider my approach more of a temporary workaround than a solution. It is still a bug in Ubuntu's WiFi package that cloning MACs doesn't work. To really solve this, I need the name of the package that lets users manage WiFi connections. Does anyone know the name of this package so I can properly report it as a bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

DISCLAIMER: Currently I have no authentic links to back my *beliefs* stated below, and I am not very certain about these.

As far as I know, successful MAC cloning (also called "MAC Spoofing") depends upon the capability of the driver. The network manager does the job of communicating with the driver to get the job done. As such, the bug can be either in the driver or the Network Manager.

Another way to do mac spoofing is to use the "ifconfig <interface> hw ether <MAC Address>" command. For example -
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:aa:bb:cc:22:44
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    If this works, the bug is in Network Manager (package name : network-manager, network-manager-gnome). If it fails, the bug *may be* in the driver (ath5k).

In case the bug is in Network Manager, you should be able to use a different network manager successfully like 'Wicd' or WPA-Supplicant directly.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Is there a way to replicate the 3 sudo commands by editing a text file? I just want to have a way to reverse the process if something goes wrong.

Beans
    Distro

There should be some, but none that I know of. But what those commands do is temporary anyway, so will be reversed on a reboot.
    Varun

Beans

I have run your test to narrow the problem down. I can connect to WiFi until I run those 3 commands, which prevents me from connecting to WiFi. However, as you said, the changes were reversed after I rebooted, and I was able to connect to WiFi again.

So this is likely a problem with the driver right? Is ath5k open source or is it provided by the manufacturer?

Beans
    Distro

All the athXk series drivers for Atheros cards, including 'ath5k', are fully open source as far as I know.
    Varun

Beans

What would I have to do to narrow down the MAC cloning issue to te ath5k driver?

Beans
    Distro

I have no idea. Probably using another card/usb-dongle and repeat the cloning steps?

If other devices/drivers don't seem to suffer with the same issue, you may wish to file a bug report against ath5k. If it managed to get attention of the developers, they will themselves tell you what to try to confirm and pin-point the source of the problem, in order to fix it.

How to properly file a bug report : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
    Varun

Beans

Well, I did something very similar to what you suggested; I used another computer's wireless card and attempted to connect while cloning the MAC address. The result was that I was able to connect normally without MAC cloning, but MAC cloning caused my connection to fail again!

I did this test on a computer where the driver was "iwlwifi". This seems to indicate that the problem was not caused by the ath5k driver. Does this narrow down the possibilities for the source of the bug a bit? What should I do next?

Beans
    Distro

I think the problem has already gone beyond my current knowledge and experience, and I don't get much time these days to dig too deep for an issue. So I'm out of ideas here.

If anyone has anything to add to the thread, please join us.
    Varun

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast