Thread: Low resolution on radeon hd 4530 ubuntu 12.04.04

Beans

Low resolution on radeon hd 4530 ubuntu 12.04.04

I've just install Ubuntu and I can't solve the problem with low graphic settings. It isn't ugly low but it still not good enough. I did this instruction but it didn't work for me.
    What should I do to improve resolution? I have no idea what to do.
    I have ubuntu 12.04.04 and RV710/M92 [Mobility Radeon HD 4530/4570/545v] I'm ready to install older Ubuntu only to improve graphic if it would work.
    The displays settings shows that is 1366*768 but I'm not sure about that it seems much lower. I used xrandr but it didn't help too.
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 25th, 2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: default font

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Low resolution on radeon hd 4530 ubuntu 12.04.04

Quote Originally Posted by cadmy View Post
    I'm ready to install older Ubuntu only to improve graphic if it would work.
    Versions of Ubuntu prior to 12.04 are no longer supported on the desktop - that would not be a good idea. I have another suggestion. Rather than trying to get the proprietary Catalyst driver working with your graphcis card, have a look at the latest release, 14.04, with the default open source driver. Try it in a live session before you install. The open source ATI driver gets better with every release and, so long as you are not a gamer or have issues with fan speed control on a laptop, you may find that it fulfills what you need.

I have been using the ATI open source driver since before 12.04 with a number of different AMD cards and it has always served me well. The few times I've installed the Catalyst driver, I've promptly uninstalled it!

By the way - I've restored the default font and colour to your post. The font and colour you chose were hard to read. Please use the defaults except where you need emphasis.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Re: Low resolution on radeon hd 4530 ubuntu 12.04.04

Thank you. I'll try to install 14.04. The only reason I need a higher resolution is I want to see more code per page.