Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware configuration in question

Beans

Hardware configuration in question

I would like to know if these parts would make a decent MythTV system. I am unsure if it would even work so I am hesitant to buy. I have attached a picture of my list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Hardware configuration in question

Anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The HD4600 is about equal to nVidia GT610.
    The intel GPU in SNA & Ivybridge are still lame.

If you are playing back broadcast (interlaced) TV I would think that is the above is the (absolute) bare minimum.
    But a good CPU can still deliver okay performance.

Note the FOSS radeon driver supports VDPAU (interlacing is still not perfect AFAIK), so cheap AMD h/w is an option.
    Nothing touches Intel for power efficiency.

Beans

So you're saying that it would be better to increase the CPU power? Would an i7 of beefier specs work?
    Last edited by seth10; April 26th, 2014 at 01:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

1. Is that an amd graphics interface? Linux AMD driver support is generally thought to be inferior to Nvidia (best) and Intel.
    2. Why the firewire ports?
    3. What signal are you hoping to capture? What will capture it?
    4. 2GB is workable but a bit low, especially if you need to allocate some to a graphics card.
    Phil

Beans

It is an intel chip. The FireWire is for direct capture of digital cable right from the stb.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is almost no long term prospect of recording via firewire from STB in US (afaik).
    The analogue hole (macrovision?) or cablecard tuner (not the copy once!) are your options.

Beans

Alright. Thank you.

Beans

Is this for a frontend or backend, or combo? If it is for a frontend, why not a blu-ray player, that is what I did, so I have my myth frontend and blu-ray all in one...I also bought a sysboard with an onboard HDMI and plug that right into my surround sound.
    Proc wise, I usually use an AMD sempron...dirt cheap and work great, there is not much processing going on in the frontend, and depending on the capture cards, usually not much in the backend.

My personal opinion...Backend should have a large harddrive, and the frontend should pack all the toys for you viewing pleasure.

Beans

My hopes were for a combo system that I could pack into a small form factor and keep under the STB. I want just enough to record HD digital cable. I've read somewhere that you can capture the digital signal directly from FireWire already encoded as MP4. My STB definitely has a FireWire port on the back so I don't really see the problem with using FireWire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast