Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Upgraded my RAM, but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Just Upgraded my RAM, but...

Hey guys,
    I just upgraded my RAM on my Toshiba Satellite from a 2 gig config to a 3 gig one, BUT I keep getting random pixelation scrambles on my screen. Is this a result of say a bad RAM card, did I screw this up, or is it something else entirely.

(Ignore my Economics Homework )

Any and all advice is mucho appreciated-o

Cheers,
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Just Upgraded my RAM, but...

I wouldn't see how ram could impact screen drawing. Only thing I can think of is the video card was bumped, cable was bumped, or something like that.

Beans
    Hidden!

keep getting random pixelation
    By "keep getting", does than mean you had that problem before upgrading your RAM as well or has it started since upgrading ?

That looks more like a graphics issue to me than a ram issue. What graphics card / drivers are you using ?

Edit: if this started with the ram upgrade, check the seating of your graphics card/cabling now, as jbaerboc alludes to.
    Last edited by coldcritter64; April 25th, 2014 at 04:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Roger that, to clarify: this started to happen AFTER ram card upgrade. Will check on graphics card/cable and report back.
    As far as graphics go; I'm running Mobile intel GM45 express chipset x86/mmx/sse2 (if that helps, cause i dont know)

Beans

It could be bad memory, or poorly seated memory, as that video card uses system memory for Video memory. Try reseating it, and if that doesn't help, remove it. If that does help, it's probably bad memory. If that doesn't, you managed to knock a cable loose or there;s something else wrong with your monitor or video card (Perhaps you banged it too hard while having the laptop upside down?)

Beans
    Hidden!

Run memtest from the grub menu to check the memory. It should run for hours without a single error. If you don't see the grub menu during a normal boot, press a shift key during boot to make it appear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Does memory not often need to go in pairs? Ex. If you have one 2G stick you would need to pair it with another 2G stick with the same specs. Correct me if I am wrong someone, that's how we always do it at work, so I'm curious now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenWalker View Post
    Does memory not often need to go in pairs? Ex. If you have one 2G stick you would need to pair it with another 2G stick with the same specs. Correct me if I am wrong someone, that's how we always do it at work, so I'm curious now.
    It's not a requirement, you can install just one stick, but you get better performance from using two smaller memory modules than one big one since the memory controller on modern CPU's usually has two (or more separate memory channels it can use).

So, both a single 2GB module or two 1GB modules are fine, but using the two modules on different memory channels gives twice the bandwidth between CPU and memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification. I figured it had something to do with most systems being dual channel now, but my knowledge of hardware is kinda lacking. Lol. I was just confused about how OP went from 2G ram to 3G ram. Sounded kinda strange to me.

Beans

with two unequal sized sticks of ram the larger of the two must be placed into a specific slot,I think I'm correct on this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast