Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fails to boot after fresh 14.04 install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Fails to boot after fresh 14.04 install

Neither boot-repair's "repair installation" nor allowing the Ubuntu installer to use default partitions rather manually selecting them made any difference. Beginning to wonder about the hardware thing, but it is so consistent and only started when I tried to install Ubuntu 14.04. Hummm....

Will perhaps try a different distro (debian or Fedora probably), or reinstall 12.04, and see whether either of those has any more success - might confirm or eliminate the hardware problem idea...

Colin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And the answer is.... use "Startup Disk Creator" on one of the existing Ubuntu 14.04 installations to create the bootable USB, rather than unetbootin.......

(I've previously had more reliable results from unetbootin, hence my preference for it. And without reinstalling 12.04 to check, I think it needed to be the "Startup Disk Creator" in 14.04 rather than the one in 12.04...)

Thanks for all your help.

Colin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ColinBrough View Post
    And the answer is.... use "Startup Disk Creator" on one of the existing Ubuntu 14.04 installations to create the bootable USB, rather than unetbootin.......

(I've previously had more reliable results from unetbootin, hence my preference for it. And without reinstalling 12.04 to check, I think it needed to be the "Startup Disk Creator" in 14.04 rather than the one in 12.04...)

Thanks for all your help.

Colin
    Thanks for the solution. I faced the same problem last night while trying to install xubuntu. I can boot from the usb drive but not from hdd installation. but i don't have an existing Ubuntu 14.04 installation. is the Startup Disk Creator included in the iso? i'm thinking i can boot from usb first and use the Startup Disk Creator in the live system to create another bootable USB and install from that.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm not sure about all flavours and versions of Ubuntu, but Startup Disk Creator is found in a menu or via Dash, and it can be run from a terminal window with either of the commands (kde in Kubuntu)

Code:
    usb-creator-gtk
    Code:
    usb-creator-kde
    Edit: See this link for more information about Startup Disk Creator and other tools to create USB boot drives.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    Last edited by sudodus; May 2nd, 2014 at 06:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I think Boot-Repair's advance mode does a chroot for its purge & reinstall of grub. From that you probably can run other commands also, but I have not tried that.

Many with upgrades are having to run this:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    #Enter thru first pages,spacebar to choose/unchoose drive, enter to accept, do not choose partitions

But I agree that it seems more like initrd.img may not be correct and needs recreating with update-initramfs, see man page for options.
    My experiences so far:
    - Fresh install without upgrades worked. Manual upgrade + the fix above (sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc) worked for a while. However new upgrades seemed to break it again. I get the same kernel panic after the latest upgrades (after running sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc ).

Currently waiting for new upgrades which would fix this. Does anyone else have any better ideas?

Beans

I had the same problem here. It was solved creating a bootable Ubuntu 14.04 USB Disc using UNetbootin. Booting to that drive and then creating a bootable Ubuntu 14.04 USB Disc, on another USB drive, using Startup Disk Creator.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12