Thread: gpart does not recognize my windows partition

Beans

gpart does not recognize my windows partition

when i boot ubuntu 12.04.4 from live usb it shows my whole hdd as unallocated.
    i run the command "sudo fdisk -lu"in terminals the following ouput shows.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x5c672921

Device             Boot        Start           End               Blocks            Id      System
    /dev/sda1                        63             2047               992+            42        SFS
    Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda2           *         2048          206847            102400           42        SFS
    /dev/sda3                    206848      307202047       153497600         42        SFS
    /dev/sda4                 307202048    1953523119      823160536         42         SFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 1983 MB, 1983905792 bytes
    64 heads, 36 sectors/track, 1681 cylinders, total 3874816 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device            Boot     Start          End       Blocks           Id      System
    /dev/sdb1         *          37       3874724   1937344           6       FAT16           "
    but in windows device manager it shows ntfs files
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 24th, 2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added code tags to terminal output

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: gpart does not recognize my windows partition

fdisk will not work with hard disks that contain a GPT style of partition table. Hence the message:
    Code:
    WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.
    You can use parted by issuing the command:
    Code:
    sudo parted
    I would recommend using gparted though as it provides quite a good interface to parted.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gparted
    sudo gparted &
    Please ask Google, check the man pages, and search the forum before creating new threads; that may help you narrow down/solve the issue.
    If your issue is solved please use the Thread Tools menu above your original post to mark it as such.

Beans

invalid command

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

You have Windows dynamic volumes which are a Microsoft proprietary way of creating partitions. Your screenshot shows that this is so and the "SFS" in your fdisk output means this. You cannot use Linux partitioning tools with dynamic disks. The only way around this is to convert the dynamic disk back to a basic one, or to completely reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows to conventional partitions before installing Ubuntu. This thread is a little old, but see oldfred's comments in post #2:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1705481

Edit: a more recent post by oldfred on this issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12967497
    Last edited by coffeecat; April 24th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pritesh4 View Post
    invalid command
    Which one?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.
    Please use CODE tags.
    A low-volume blog

Beans

sudo apt-get install gparted
    sudo gparted &

Beans

can anybody please explain me that in linux after executing the command "sudo fdisk -lu" it shows sfs" partition but in windows it shows ntfs partition why?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by pritesh4 View Post
    can anybody please explain me that in linux after executing the command "sudo fdisk -lu" it shows sfs" partition but in windows it shows ntfs partition why?
    @pritesh4, will you please read my post at #4. The links to oldfred's posts give you all you need to know in this situation. But to answer your question, SFS in fdisk output = dynamic disk and since dynamic disk is a Windows only thing, you can assume the filesystem is NTFS. Your screenshot shows type = dynamic, so both fdisk and the Windows Disk utility are saying the same thing in different ways.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @pritesh4, will you please read my post at #4. The links to oldfred's posts give you all you need to know in this situation. But to answer your question, SFS in fdisk output = dynamic disk and since dynamic disk is a Windows only thing, you can assume the filesystem is NTFS. Your screenshot shows type = dynamic, so both fdisk and the Windows Disk utility are saying the same thing in different ways.
    thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Also note that the ntfs partitions shown by Windows have different sizes than the sfs partitions shown by fdisk. Windows assembles the sfs partitions into some kind of virtual disk and then repartitions it into dynamic partitions of different sizes. Ubuntu can't do anything with that drive.