Thread: Which is better for old hardware? 12.04 LTS or 14.04 LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question Which is better for old hardware? 12.04 LTS or 14.04 LTS?

Hello everyone,

I'm the founder of ToriOS Project and I'm back to work on this project after Ubuntu GNOME 14.04 LTS has been released so ToriOS is back on my highest priority now.

I'm trying now to find out which is the best option for my project? should I keep it based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? or should I forget that and go for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

My question is simple yet very important to decide the future of my project:
    Which is better for old hardware? Ubuntu 12.04 LTS? or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS?

And, technically, which Kernel series is better for old hardware? the one with 12.04 or the one with 14.04?

When myself and my team started with ToriOS, 14.04 wasn't released and I had a thought in mind that 12.04 is better for old hardware.
    If truth to be told, I haven't yet tested 14.04 on very old hardware but I just did an installation on a machine with Centrino CPU (one core) and 1GB RAM with 40GB HDD and Lubuntu 14.04 LTS worked on that machine. However, ToriOS will be designed for 'older' machines with less power.

So, I'm confused and not sure where to ask? should I talk to Ubuntu Release Team? or should I post here? I really need to find out because we have waited for too long and it is time to start doing something. I want to make sure the path that ToriOS will follow is the right one.

Thank you in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Which is better for old hardware? 12.04 LTS or 14.04 LTS?

This sticky thread seems relevant ... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2130640