Thread: VSFTPD Fix Ubuntu 14.04 x64 - libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel 500

Beans

Post VSFTPD Fix Ubuntu 14.04 x64 - libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel 500

Hey guys, this has been a problem for a long time in Ubuntu. Each time a new version of Ubuntu is released, the VSFTPD package needs to be patched or configured in a strange manner in order to support MySQL integration for virtual users.

On Ubuntu 14.04 (x64 only) which just came out, I was getting this error when attempting to connect as a valid user:

libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel
    500 OOPS: priv_sock_get_result

The connection would fail and no files could be uploaded. I am a developer for open source software, and I've posted a list containing the fixes for previous versions of Ubuntu. However, 14.04 x64 (64-bit Only) required the fix in the link below last reply to be applied:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12662...cancel-to-work

I have packaged the fixed version up into a deb package. I tested it, and it's working great on Ubuntu 14.04. I hope this helps others. The full script to run is located here:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove vsftpd
    sudo dpkg --remove vsftpd
    sudo sed -i 's/chroot_local_user=NO/chroot_local_user=YES/g' /etc/vsftpd.conf
    sudo sed -i 's/allow_writeable_chroot=NO/allow_writeable_chroot=YES/g' /etc/vsftpd.conf
    sudo sed -i 's/seccomp_sandbox=YES/seccomp_sandbox=NO/g' /etc/vsftpd.conf
    wget -N -O "vsftpd_3.0.2-1ubuntu2.deb" http://dinofly.com/files/linux/vsftpd_3.0.2-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i vsftpd_3.0.2-1ubuntu2.deb
    sudo service vsftpd restart
    Again, this is only for Ubuntu 14.04 x64, previous Ubuntu fixes for VSFTPD based on Ubuntu version are linked above. VSFTPD with minor fixes in 32-bit worked just fine out of the box. The fix for 32-bit is this:

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/allow_writeable_chroot=NO/allow_writeable_chroot=YES/g' /etc/vsftpd.conf

Beans

Re: VSFTPD Fix Ubuntu 14.04 x64 - libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel

I only registered to tell you.. God bless you. Seriously, I spent like 2 hours on this, and who knows how many more I would have wasted.
    Thanks!

Beans

Thumbs up Re: VSFTPD Fix Ubuntu 14.04 x64 - libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel

Wow, this seems like a criminal bug. This pretty much means the vsftpd service is broken, at least for virtual user authentication in my case. Thank you very much for a solution. I'm not sure I had the same specific problem as you, btw. My error log stated this:
    Code:
     toad kernel: [6565855.048206] vsftpd[13568]: segfault at 24f0 ip 00000000000024f0 sp 00007fffa1f6dd28 error 14 in librt-2.19.so[7f04289d4000+7000]
    BTW, have you tried to send this issue to the Ubuntu's devs?

Beans

Re: VSFTPD Fix Ubuntu 14.04 x64 - libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel

This ALSO seems to fix the following issue (taken from from /var/log/auth.log):

Code:
    vsftpd: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_smbpass.so): /lib/security/pam_smbpass.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    vsftpd: PAM adding faulty module: pam_smbpass.so

Beans

Also registered to thank you!! Here a total linux noob trying to run some Ubuntu services for home. BTW must be first time I copied and paste such a complex set of commands and they work right away. THANKS !!

Beans

But what is the root cause? Why is it not fixed?

Last week I got new update (2015-03-20 10:42:07 status installed vsftpd:amd64 3.0.2-1ubuntu2.14.04.1) and the error returned - I have to patch it again.

Any chance that the developer of vsftpd fixes that and push it to the official 14.04 repo?

Beans

This bug is connected with the Samba bug and PAM found here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/47700...leaking-memory. Can be resolved by running pam-auth-update and deselecting SMB password synchronization. Then you do not need to install anything.
    Best regards
    Roman

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gollum53 View Post
    This bug is connected with the Samba bug and PAM
    Ehm - sorry, this seems not work in my case - I dont have such an entry..?

pam_update.JPG

EDIT: Oh, okay - you are talking about #4. So, I still wonder, that this is still not updated in the Ubuntu-package. I still have to install the patched version after each update.

Is it possible to block future updates if vsftpd (which is not the best solution at all...)?
    Last edited by commifreak2; July 6th, 2015 at 12:29 PM.

Beans

Hi these steps worked in my server.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by own3mall View Post
    Hey guys, this has been a problem for a long time in Ubuntu. Each time a new version of Ubuntu is released, the VSFTPD package needs to be patched or configured in a strange manner in order to support MySQL integration for virtual users.

On Ubuntu 14.04 (x64 only) which just came out, I was getting this error when attempting to connect as a valid user:

libgcc_s.so.1 must be installed for pthread_cancel
    500 OOPS: priv_sock_get_result

The connection would fail and no files could be uploaded. I am a developer for open source software, and I've posted a list containing the fixes for previous versions of Ubuntu. However, 14.04 x64 (64-bit Only) required the fix in the link below last reply to be applied:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12662...cancel-to-work

I have packaged the fixed version up into a deb package. I tested it, and it's working great on Ubuntu 14.04. I hope this helps others. The full script to run is located here:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove vsftpd
    sudo dpkg --remove vsftpd
    sudo sed -i 's/seccomp_sandbox=YES/seccomp_sandbox=NO/g' /etc/vsftpd.conf
    wget -N -O "vsftpd_3.0.2-1ubuntu2.deb" http://dinofly.com/files/linux/vsftpd_3.0.2-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i vsftpd_3.0.2-1ubuntu2.deb
    Again, this is only for Ubuntu 14.04 x64, previous Ubuntu fixes for VSFTPD based on Ubuntu version are linked above. VSFTPD with minor fixes in 32-bit worked just fine out of the box. The fix for 32-bit is this:

Code: