Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 14.04: Audacity does not work with FFMpeg anymore

Beans

Re: 14.04: Audacity does not work with FFMpeg anymore

OK I have had a decent look at what is required and I have a week off from study next week so I would be keen to write a guide for building Audacity and the most recent possible FFmpeg. (I have done a few such guides before on these Forums.) All going well I will post it in the Tutorials section and hopefully it will be useful for Trusty users who are keen on Audacity.

I have followed the thread on the Audacity Forums related to this topic and I can see that Audacity will not change in the short term to support a newer FFmpeg and I am a little curious to have a closer look at Audacity itself. Should be fun!
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Thanks Andrew. Yes, Gale Andrews on Audacity forum gave some useful tips too. As I said, I don't know much about programming and compiling and I just found and followed those guides with some glitches I was even able to resolve. So it's quite shocking for me that I ended up with working solution

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    May not matter where the shared libs are as long as not in common path, audacity just needs to be pointed when configuring it's preferences (screen
    On my own system this process of pointing to libavformat.so had to be done manually from within the Audacity options, I presume that you are saying that this was also the case in your installation?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robi-hipnos View Post
    So it's quite shocking for me that I ended up with working solution
    Perhaps you underestimate yourself . I have just about finished the mini guide but I have a few questions as I am not used to Audacity and I do not know its normal operations. I attach a screenshot of the output options available to me with my current build, are you used to seeing more options here or less?

Export seems reasonably limited, I guess the magic is in using FFmpeg for import? If so I need to prune the FFmpeg installation somewhat...

Edit: No wait I have just looked under 'Custom FFmpeg Exports' --> 'Options' and I can see that Audacity makes most of the FFmpeg options and codecs available... Which do you use mostly?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 25th, 2014 at 11:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Regarding both ffmpeg and audacity, I'm curious... Is this an issue only within Ubuntu, or will I find the same situation using Fedora, Mint, etc.?
    “Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.” -- Bertrand Russell

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    Regarding both ffmpeg and audacity, I'm curious... Is this an issue only within Ubuntu, or will I find the same situation using Fedora, Mint, etc.?
    It affects all distros which ship more up to date ffmpeg than required by audacity, but some distros might have patched audacity downstream such as Arch and Fedora. Anything based on Debian would be in the same boat. Mint of course would be as it uses Ubuntu's packages.

Beans

Andrew, we mostly use FFMpeg to import audio files sent to us from different sources. Most of them are in AAC (video sources), WMA (dictation devices) and some recordings made on mobile phones which I think is AMR. After editing in Audacity, we export them to MP3 and OGG.

I think Gale Andrews on Audacity forum should give you the most relevant information. He's been very helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robi-hipnos View Post
    Andrew, we mostly use FFMpeg to import audio files sent to us from different sources. Most of them are in AAC (video sources), WMA (dictation devices) and some recordings made on mobile phones which I think is AMR. After editing in Audacity, we export them to MP3 and OGG.
    Good. Although it sounds like you have your installation pretty much under control. I have actually put the guide together ahead of time and perhaps you might be interested in having a look at it:

Audacity under Trusty Tahr: Building it with FFmpeg
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2219907

It would certainly fit your workflow as it is, I have tested it reasonably extensively importing and exporting all manner of files with no issues at all. I am quite taken with Audacity which I may very well install on my working distro .
    Last edited by andrew.46; April 26th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    It affects all distros which ship more up to date ffmpeg than required by audacity [...]
    Slackware has put it in the too hard basket:

http://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.1/audio/audacity/

but Slackers are a reasonably robust lot and the workaround is not too challenging so undoubtedly many will be linking to the older FFmpeg...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Good. Although it sounds like you have your installation pretty much under control I have actually put the guide together ahead of time. You might be interested in having a look at it:.
    Of course I need such guide since I can't remember everything I did

It would be great if somebody could make PPA archive for easier installation. After all, Audacity is very much needed tool and when Trusty users realize it doesn't work as expected, it will bring no good to opensource community.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast