Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't open local .swf in any browser

Beans

Can't open local .swf in any browser

Hello,

Today I upgraded to 14.04 and have met a problem that I've not yet been able to solve. I cannot play local .swf (flash games that I downloaded). Said games worked fine in 13.10 with Chromium and on Windows 7 with Google Chrome.

Now, whenever I try to play a local .swf, it makes me download it again (for Firefox, it prompts me with the "open with..." window), which I don't understand why because it's a local file. I want to play my .swf in my browser (tried gnash standalone but it runs my swfs slowly, making for example The Binding Of Isaac unplayable and bugged, while it ran really smoothly and perfectly in Chromium). However, any .swf files I see on a webpage runs perfectly. It just doesn't work for local files.

I would really prefer to open my swfs in Chromium instead of some standalone software if possible.
    Anyone got a fix?

Thanks by advance.

Beans

Re: Can't open local .swf in any browser

Probably because flash 11.2 doesn't work. You may need pepper-flash. Either install Chrome or install pepperflashplugin-nonfree from the repository (Chromium only)
    Don't even bother with gnash, it just clutters up your system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Probably because flash 11.2 doesn't work. You may need pepper-flash. Either install Chrome or install pepperflashplugin-nonfree from the repository (Chromium only)
    Don't even bother with gnash, it just clutters up your system.
    I tried both of the solutions, but it still tries to download my .swf instead of playing it with Flash. I manually set Firefox to play the swf using the flash plugin, it still gave me the "open with" window.

What shall I try now?

Beans

This is driving me crazy too -- I am so addicted to Binding Of Isaac. I have the same exact symptoms.

I have worked around it by creating an HTML file in the same directory as my Isaac.swf file, which simply loads the swf file. I'll provide the full text below.

This works and is playable. However it does not have my game progress (unlocked items, mom kills, etc.)
    This should be solveable ( http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Save_Data ) but so far I have not found an so.sol file that works. I think I know which source so.sol file to use, but I'm not sure where to put it for pepperflash.

There is one other problem: no progress is being saved in my games anymore. I am starting from a pristine state (no mom kills, no items unlocked) every time.

Still this is the best I've got. For me, this is working the same in both firefox and chromium.

Here's the full text of the HTML file I created. Make sure you updated the filename ("Isaac.swf" below) to match whatever you've got.

PHP Code:
    <html>
    <
    head>
    <
    title>The Binding Of Isaac v1.48 Wrath of the Lamb</title>
    </
    head>
    <
    body>
    <
    OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" id="The Binding Of Isaac" ALIGN="">
    <
    PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="Isaac.swf">
    <
    PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
    <
    PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#000000>
    <EMBED src="Isaac.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#333399 WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" NAME="Isaac.swf" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></EMBED></OBJECT> 
    </body>
    </
    html
    EDIT:
    Forgot to explain this -- after creating the html file with correct path/filename, open the html file in your browser instead of opening the swf file directly.
    Last edited by fraser3; April 23rd, 2014 at 09:28 PM.

Beans

Thank you, but that's not the solution I'm looking for, I'm afraid. I have 200+ .swf and I don't feel like creating 200+ .html pages to open them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Beans

I can't use the projector since I use a 64bits version of Ubuntu and the projector is only 32bits.

Beans

A small bump. Please guys, I need to fix it, I also have work in .swf.

Beans

Got the same problems, found some potential hints in the Arch forums:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic....74454#p1374454 and following.
    I already tried changing /usr/share/mime/packages/freedesktop.org.xml accordingly and doing
    Code:
    sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime
    but I'm getting several "unknown media type" messages and the program doesn't complete but just stops at some point. Doesn't fix the problem either. Maybe this will help somebody else figure it out...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I only run flash on my 32bit ubuntu 12.04 .. but this thread might help you

http://flexceptional.blogspot.co.uk/...yer-on-64.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast