Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How come ubuntu doesn't seem to handle screen v-sync well?

Beans

How come ubuntu doesn't seem to handle screen v-sync well?

I tried running Ubuntu on nVidia Titan Black Edition, AMD R7 240x card, and built in Intel 3000/4000, all of them had some sort of v-sync problem with lots screen tearing in browsers and/or video players.

Anyone knows what's the underlying problem of this? I've seen many people complain about tearing in Ubuntu when I googled this issue.

Is screen tearing a challenging issue with Linux platforms in general? I mean, do you guys face similar problems but learned to live with it? Or you don't mind screen tearing? Or it's just my luck that all of the video cards I tried somehow have tearing issues under Ubuntu?

Edit: here is a tearing test video to see whether or not your system has tearing related issues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xkNy9gfKOg
    My Ubuntu 14.04 shows severe tearing in chrome and slight tearing in firefox with this test.
    Last edited by H7O; April 22nd, 2014 at 10:02 PM.

Beans

Re: How come ubuntu doesn't seem to handle screen v-sync well?

It seems its your first post - if you have had so many issues .... please point us to the links where you asked the questions beforehand.

Just one will do and we can see where the problem lies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    It seems its your first post - if you have had so many issues .... please point us to the links where you asked the questions beforehand.

Just one will do and we can see where the problem lies.
    You never had issues with tearing in ubuntu before?

If so, what's your hardware specs?

Also, open question to everyone, what is the most powerful and latest video card + motherboard that is properly supported by Ubuntu that I could buy?

Properly supported means having 5.1 audio and tear-free video via HDMI working properly without fiddling around with compiz / alsa / pulseaudio / browsers launch parameters / etc..

My problems are:
    1- Any AMD / nVidia video card open source drivers don't know how to handle sound via HDMI (i.e. no sound).
    2- Any propriety drivers stutters and freezes the screen.
    3- All have tearing issues at one app or the other.

The only graphics chip that performs somewhat in a decent and reliable manner is the Intel 3000/4000 graphics chip. It works well (tear-free + 5.1 Audio via HDMI) with VLC and Firefox but not chrome or chromium.

At the end, I really don't mind buying a specific system that could run Ubuntu (by default) properly. So I'd really appreciate if you guys could recommend something decent (not old and under-powered) and hassle free.

Beans

The question has changed to - what is the best system to buy to run surround sound ..... high resolution graphics onto a TV ........

Sort of makes me wonder why you started off that way - it comes across - Ubuntu is not going to suit my needs , but what would you use

it for ?

How much are you going to spend on it ........ ?

At the end, I really don't mind buying a specific system that could run Ubuntu (by default) properly. So I'd really appreciate if you guys could recommend something decent (not old and under-powered) and hassle free.

System76 I keep hearing a lot about ....... but I have never had one ........ but they tend to be made to suit Linux.
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 21st, 2014 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added some more questions and gave one example where to look ...... but the question is based on what to buy now

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    The question has changed to - what is the best system to buy to run surround sound ..... high resolution graphics onto a TV ........

Sort of makes me wonder why you started off that way - it comes across - Ubuntu is not going to suit my needs , but what would you use

it for ?

How much are you going to spend on it ........ ?

System76 I keep hearing a lot about ....... but I have never had one ........ but they tend to be made to suit Linux.
    You seem overly sensitive about my question. Focusing more on questioning the legitimacy of the question rather than the question itself.

I don't know what caused this, but nevertheless let me just explain the reasoning behind my question so we could hopefully get passed questioning the intentions behind it.

My question comes after many attempts to fix this tearing issues by searching forums and applying many recommended solutions offered to others facing the same issue, but nothing worked for several video cards I've tried.

This lead me to the conclusion that this is potentially a widespread issue. But to be absolutely sure and fair, I wanted to ask if it is indeed a widespread issue, hence my original post.

If people answered my post with "no, we never faced issues with tearing" then I would've followed up with a question of "what hardware you're using?".

And the reason why I'm interested in what hardware that works best, stems from my dis-interest in continuing my hunt for solving the tearing issues in my hardware.

I don't know if the system you linked would have tearing issues or not, but what I'm really really interested to know (if I may ask) is do you see tearing effect in videos / youtube in chrome in your ubuntu setup?
    Last edited by H7O; April 22nd, 2014 at 12:48 AM.

Beans

I tried running Ubuntu on nVidia Titan Black Edition - solution below

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...67-ubuntu1404/

There is a bug on certain legacy Intel 3000/4000

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1276379

AMD R7 240x card - solution below .....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2213035

And the reason why I'm interested in what hardware that works best, stems from my dis-interest in continuing my hunt for solving the tearing issues in my hardware.
    Type in a terminal - and post back the results please.

lspci -v
    Last edited by sandyd; April 22nd, 2014 at 07:54 PM. Reason: staff edit

Beans

I've tried the nVidia solution you linked before and it didn't work for me.

The Intel graphics had the most stable out of the box drivers (except for tearing in chrome).

The catalyst 14.3 drivers mentioned in your AMD fix link have lots of problems with stutter and freezing.
    Last edited by sandyd; April 22nd, 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: staff edit

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For what it's worth, I haven't had any graphics problems in a long time. But then, I just have an ordinary laptop, nothing very powerful.

When new hardware is released to the market, it usually take a while before it is properly supported by Linux. That's because manufacturers provide good Windows drivers at introduction, but not the Linux drivers. Sometimes you just have to wait some months for the bugfixes in the drivers.

I never tried sound over hdmi.
    Last edited by Impavidus; April 22nd, 2014 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Closed for review.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

re-opened - keep this on-topic please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast