Thread: Promised support for modern laptops seemingly absent from 14.04

Beans

Promised support for modern laptops seemingly absent from 14.04

I have a laptop called an MSI Slidebook. It has a multi-touch screen, and the native resolution is very high -- 1920 x 1080.

I had the idea, from different articles and blog posts, that 14.04 would support high density screens and multitouch surfaces. However, I only have single-touch support that emulates the mouse's movements and left-click, and I already had this in 12.04. Also, everything is tiny at the native resolution, as it was in 12.04.

I can boost my system fonts but this creates crowding in leading and word spacing. How do I enable multitouch and hi-res support?

Beans

Re: Promised support for modern laptops seemingly absent from 14.04

I think the "support for high res displays" was including an option within the Screen Display settings called Scale for menu and title bars.

I have mine set to 1.12, this seems to work much better than changing the system fonts directly (although some text is no longer truly centred, such as off and on switches).

With regard to multi-touch the only settings I found were through the Unity Tweak Tool. It can enable two touch scrolling only though.