Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Ubuntu

Beans

Unhappy Leaving Ubuntu

Sadly after 6 years of using Ubuntu I've migrated to Mint. I feel this decision is a sound one, given Canonical's decision to release private search information to Amazon. In the last number of releases I've put up with the ill-conceived and un-user friendly interfaces and changes, implemented by Canonical to pamper to corporates, with little regard to the very users its suppose to serve I'm saddened to have to make this move, because despite the more recent problems, all in all I've enjoyed Ubuntu and it has liberated me from the grips of corporate OS's such as Microsoft. I've personally helped bring more than a 100 users to Ubuntu and as time goes by and computers are updated or repaired, I will assist them once again to migrate to Mint.

Canonical itself appear to have lost touch with the meaning of Ubuntu, whilst it users haven't. Canonical in case you need a reminder its Community not Corporate.

Mint will hopefully fair better and remain steadfast to this philosophy.

I want to thank the many Ubuntu users who have helped me through the years, resolve bugs and implement fixes. I have little doubt that many of you feel as I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Leaving Ubuntu

If you are going mint, you are still using ubuntu...just a different desktop on top of it....don't know why you have such a disdain for a dock type of launcher as Unity is...many of us here love it and actually find it MORE user friendly and efficient to use then the old fashioned desktop environments...and certainly mac users have loved it for years...amazon lens can be turned off in 5 seconds (actually all online searches in privacy settings) and it's really not much different then getting target ads on the mint forum, and serves the same purpose (generates some money to help development) it's not spyware as you probably assume...

If you really want to be ubuntu free, suggest you go pure debian...good luck to you...
    Last edited by craig10x; April 20th, 2014 at 07:34 PM.

Beans

Best of luck to you. Personally I am not concerned about Canonical decision to release private search information to Amazon. It appears to me that it provides income allowing Canonical to continue to work on having Ubuntu run on servers, desktops, tablets, phones, etc. I believe that in the long run the Linux distribution that survive will be those that run on multiple platforms. Ubuntu is free to use, and I have found applications available for Ubuntu to do anything I want to do, which I cannot say for many other distributions.

Beans

What private info is Canonical releasing to Amazon? If I type moby is it private info? If you don't want online search just turn it off. No need to be dramatic.

Edited: online search will become opt-in rather than turned on by default in 14.10. It is certainly a right step.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 20th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I respect the OP's decision and rationale. My personal decision takes a different path, but that's purely a matter of opinion.

I suspect the dynamics of free open-source, free closed-source, proprietary, and the various licensing variants allow a very wide range of models -- from hobbyist distros to corporate productions like Red Hat and Canonical. And everything in between. In my lowly opinion, this is very very very good. There may be no one model which is "right" any more than there is one species of tree which is "right".

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Even if you use Mint or whatever you choose, you can still come around to the forums for some good conversations.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use both Mint and Ubuntu so I can see the best of both worlds =]
    Other than the look and layout, they're basically the same thing (as Mint being based off Ubuntu that makes sense so I'm not breaking any news here). I will say, I've come to like Mint Cinnamon the most and feel like it could be the best/easiest transition of WinXP users over to Linux that's out there. Not sure why, but Cinnamon is just my favorite lol

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by empireittech View Post
    I use both Mint and Ubuntu so I can see the best of both worlds =]
    I will say, I've come to like Mint Cinnamon the most and feel like it could be the best/easiest transition of WinXP users over to Linux that's out there.
    It is like American tourists always want to find McDonald's wherever they are even when the local offerings are much better. If I run a restaurant I would rather not have their business than changing my menu to like McDonald's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm sorry you didn't like Ubuntu. As an avid Ubuntu user since 10.04, I can say some of the changes have been a little out there, but you can definitely turn off the settings you are worried about (as previous posters have stated). However, it never hurts to be familiar with more than one distro. I currently use Ubuntu 13.10, CentOS 6.4, and Kali. It's great to be familiar with a wide variety of Linux distros, in my personal opinion.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Oh, this again...

Is it irritating for extraneous results to appear in your search? Certainly, IMHO. Should it have been opt-in? Absolutely, IMHO. Was it a bad decision on Canonical's part to make it opt-out? Yes, IMHO.

Is Canonical handing out your private information? No. In any case, can you turn it off? Yes.

Leave it on and all Amazon ever knows is that certain search terms were passed through Canonical's servers. Nothing more. A "minor" detail, that...
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast