Thread: Forced Subtitles - I Think!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Forced Subtitles - I Think!

I use my Linux system as a home theatre - over 500 films and the same in TV programs work happily through VLC.

However, there are a select few, which I now know contain solmething called 'forced subtitles' which will not play the subtitle at all. (these are subtitles that play when someone is speaking a language foreign to the principle English on the fiilm)

So far I have identified Battle of Britain, A Bridge Too Far, and X-Men First Class. Now I have many others that have subtitles and play them fine - The Way Back for example, so I guess they don't used the 'forced' option

What I cannot understand is why there is no Liunx player that will play these DVD's 'out of the box'. I'm sorry to say Windows Media Player has no trouble.

I have even ripped the DVD to disk and put the files through Handbrake following all the instructions carefully to capture the subtitles, but no; they will not display.

I have tried VLC, mplayer, SMplayer, several different ripping tools and still no result

Has anyone any success in this area?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Forced Subtitles - I Think!

hmmm i would suggest take a VOB [insert disc and drag to desktop]from one of those dvds that DO NOT play subs and run through mediainfo [in repo] to see which format they are in and if forced etc there are so many formats for subs

if not srt you may have to convert them first

else go to a search engine then find appropriate srt for the film you want then attach with handbrake or mkvmerge or ffmpeg

PS and more basically run the film you say does not show in vlc then toggle the V key and see if they appear [but you probably know this]

Subtitle formats[edit]

For software video players[edit]

Name Extension Type Text Styling Metadata Timings Timing Precision
    AQTitle .aqt Text Yes Yes Framings Dependent on Frame
    Gloss Subtitle .gsub HTML/XML Yes Yes Elapsed Time 10 Milliseconds
    JACOSub[12] .jss Text w/markup Yes No Elapsed Time Dependent on frame
    MicroDVD .sub Text No No Framings Dependent on Frame
    MPEG-4 Timed Text .ttxt (or mixed with A/V stream) XML Yes No Elapsed Time 1 Millisecond
    MPSub .sub Text No Yes Sequential Time 10 Milliseconds
    Ogg Writ N/A (mixed with audio/video stream) Text Yes Yes Sequential Granules Dependent on Bitstream
    Phoenix Subtitle .pjs Text No No Framings Dependent on Frame
    PowerDivX .psb Text No No Elapsed Time 1 Second
    RealText[13] .rt HTML Yes No Elapsed Time 10 Milliseconds
    SAMI .smi HTML Yes Yes Framings Dependent on Frame
    Spruce subtitle format[14] .stl Text Yes Yes Sequential Time+Frames Sequential Time+Frames
    Structured Subtitle Format .ssf XML Yes Yes Elapsed Time 1 Millisecond
    SubRip .srt Text Yes No Elapsed Time 1 Millisecond
    (Advanced) SubStation Alpha .ssa or .ass (advanced) Text Yes Yes Elapsed Time 10 Milliseconds
    SubViewer .sub Text No Yes Elapsed Time 10 Milliseconds
    Universal Subtitle Format .usf XML Yes Yes Elapsed Time 1 Millisecond
    VobSub .sub + .idx Image N/A N/A Elapsed Time 1 Millisecond
    XSUB N/A (embedded in .divx container) Image N/A N/A Elapsed Time 1 Millisecond
    There are still many more uncommon formats. Most of them are text-based and have the extension .txt.
    Last edited by shantiq; April 20th, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the excellent reply!

I took the easy option and got a file from the web, well, several until i found one that worked properly.

I also found one for Battle of Britain, but had a bit of trouble syncing with the video

Amazing what a minefield it all is - I'm thankful that my first language is English and I don't have to do too much messing around .

Thanks again

Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

yes Alex glad you cracked it can be a right palaver
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

Beans

MPlayer has an option that you could perhaps experiment with:

Code:
           -forcedsubsonly
                  Display only forced subtitles for the DVD  subtitle  stream  se-
                  lected by e.g. -slang.
    although I admit that I have no experience with this option but I see that SMPlayer has an option for this under 'Subtitles'...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?