Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Question and Request to Spread the Word about Bestbuy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Question and Request to Spread the Word about Bestbuy

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    It wipes the disc clean and restores windows and it's original partitions just as it came when you opened the box originally...but the key point is making the discs....if you had to send it in to say toshiba (assuming that was the brand you bought) for service, you'd want to do it then too...don't think they would like receiving a computer for service with ubuntu installed on it...so the discs are a MUST...I have mine for the Toshiba 17" laptop i am typing on right now...and all i have on here is ubuntu 14.04...

Of course, if your hard drive went out...you wouldn't have to worry about it
    It seems the risk would be if it wasn't the hard drive that failed but rather something on the motherboard, power regulation or something like that. If the warranty provider found Ubuntu or other O.S. on the hard drive and wanted to be difficult, could they take a position along these lines?

"We received your machine for warranty service. We found a failed power widget and replaced it. We then found an unapproved operating system installed. The unapproved operating system has not been tested on this machine and may permit/have caused power/thermal excursions beyond design limits of the power widget and caused its failure. Therefore warranty coverage is denied and the cost of the repair is $$$, payable now."

I don't know how likely the above scenario is but I've had experience with warranty providers being 'creative' in their denial of warranty repair. One way around this risk is to install a different hard drive in the new machine and install the non-standard O.S. on that. Then if there's a hardware issue, re-install the original hard drive before returning for warranty service. That may not be an inexpensive option though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    If you take the time to make the 5 or so restore discs on windows BEFORE wiping it out and replacing with ubuntu, then by running those discs, an identical image will be restored to the computer as you received it from the store, crapware and all
    You can also run CloneZilla on it, and clone the entire drive (restore partitions and all) to an external drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

@aysiu: I wasn't aware of that...nice tip...i will have to look into that

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    You can also run CloneZilla on it, and clone the entire drive (restore partitions and all) to an external drive.
    Great point.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bonus on CloneZilla is that the size of the clone will be proportional to the used space on the drive (which, since it's a new computer, should be minimal).

Beans
    Hidden!

I started with Ghost, and learned to make compressed dd images with linux, found and used PING for some years, but it could not manage ext4, so I looked around and found Clonezilla, which is a great tool to make compressed images of drives.

Finally I would recommend that you test that you can restore your system from the image (a directory with several files). And to test it you need another drive of at least the same size as the original one.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Finally I would recommend that you test that you can restore your system from the image (a directory with several files). And to test it you need another drive of at least the same size as the original one.
    +1 That applies to any backup or disk imaging software. I have encountered quite a few people that found their backup solution wasn't doing what they thought it was doing.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234