Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: xrdp or how to RDP from Windows to Ubuntu 14.04

Beans

xrdp or how to RDP from Windows to Ubuntu 14.04

Hi all,

I am considering dual booting my Win8 machine with Ubuntu. The way I currently operate is by using my lower spec laptop to RDP to my higher spec desktop both running Win 8 (64).
    Before trying Ubuntu I found a few pages describing how to RDP from windows to Ubuntu using xrdp. So, I downloaded 14.04 and ran it as "try" live CD. I search app center for xrdp and also tried the apt command to install with no matches.

Can this still be done ?

So, I want to use mstsc to connect to Ubuntu.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks
    Dave

Beans

Re: xrdp or how to RDP from Windows to Ubuntu 14.04

Howdy,
    The better way is to install Cygwin with OpenSSH on Windows, and sshd on Linux, then open an X window shell on Windows, ssh to Linux and run whatever you want directly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi there!

A warm welcome to the forums!

I would recommend remmina to connect to the windows desktop. If you don't already have it, you can install remmina from the software centre. Of course, if you got xrdp working from the live CD and were happy with it, then there is no reason you can't use xrdp as before!

There's a pretty detailed on remmina from here, but to be honest, If you're used to RDP it should be pretty straight forwad!

Jj
    Love Ubuntu? If you feel like donating to future development, and suggest how that donation is used by the community, it's all here!

Beans

HI,

Thanks both for the reply.

Herman, would that method allow use a GUI or would it all be command line?

Double.J , I am after operating the other way around. RDP from Windows to Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Dave

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by daveygabc View Post
    Double.J , I am after operating the other way around. RDP from Windows to Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Sorry my mistake!

You could also just use ubuntu's VNC server - set up vino on ubuntu then download real VNC on the windows machine?

Jj
    Love Ubuntu? If you feel like donating to future development, and suggest how that donation is used by the community, it's all here!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Double.J View Post
    Sorry my mistake!

You could also just use ubuntu's VNC server - set up vino on ubuntu then download real VNC on the windows machine?

Jj
    Sounds like a plan. Will test it in "try" mode. I have 100gb partitioned ready to install for when I get it sussed.

Do you have any idea why xrdp is not showing up on repo ?

Thanks
    Dave

Beans
    Distro

Do you have any idea why xrdp is not showing up on repo ?

Thanks
    Dave
    That is strange, as far as I know it's still in the standard repos - it may be worth checking the sources in synaptic to check it's not just searching the CD (i had this bug in an earlier build of 14.04)

JJ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Double.J View Post
    That is strange, as far as I know it's still in the standard repos - it may be worth checking the sources in synaptic to check it's not just searching the CD (i had this bug in an earlier build of 14.04)

JJ

I was able to install java and another couple of apps from the GUI (Application App). search for rdp returned matches but search for xrdp never. Are you on 14 ? Do you return matches for xrdp ?

Also, is 14 (latest version on site) a good version for n00b ? Well, n00b ish. I need to work on RHL at work sometimes, but just to install files and navigate around.

Thanks
    Dave

Beans

Kind of given up Ubuntu for now as I can't get xrdp to work,, tried a few configs but still get a kind of a gridded screen with a black X for mouse pointer,, tried a few 2D gnome commands I found on sites but still same issue.
    VNC is no good due to screen resolution and scrolling.
    Has anybody successfully used xrdp with 14.04 ?

Thanks

Beans

still get a kind of a gridded screen with a black X for mouse pointer
    Has anybody successfully used xrdp with 14.04 ?

Bump, exactly my problem!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast