Thread: Loading Windows Driver

Beans

Loading Windows Driver

How do I install a Windows driver that I have on a CD that came with the wireless card? My card is Broadcom Corp BCM4318 [Air Force One 54G] 802.11G wireless L controller [14e4:4318] (Rev 02). I used Linux Lite prior to this and I had to install NDISGTK and use the MENU>INSTALL WINDOWS DRIVER. I found the .inf driver that I needed and followed the instructions to install it. It worked fine until I rebooted then it wouldn't work again. I figured I would try Lubuntu 14.04. NEWBIE here so please go slow and explain.
    Tks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Loading Windows Driver

Forget about ndiswrapper and the Windows driver disc and have a look at this sticky in the Wireless & Networking section:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110

From the list there, it looks as though you need to install the linux-firmware-nonfree package. Don't forget you need a temporary internet connection with an ethernet cable. If that doesn't work for you, post back and one of our members who takes a special interest in wireless will be able to help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First welcome to the forums, dennis17. Windows drivers are not recognized by Linux, which uses a different method to "personalize" hardware (they are a part of the Linux kernel called modules). I'm at a loss to understand how a .inf file would be recognized by Linux under any circumstances. Perhaps you are running a dual-boot machine and what you describe was done while you were in Windows. More details would be helpful. Cheers.
    Last edited by whitesmith; April 19th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmith View Post
    First welcome to the forums, dennis17. Windows drivers are not recognized by Linux, which uses a different method to "personalize" hardware (modules which are a part of the Linux kernel). I'm at a loss to understand how a .inf file would be recognized by Linux. Perhaps you are running a dual-boot machine and what you describe was done while you were in Windows. More details would be helpful. Cheers.
    @whitesmith, dennis17 is describing ndiswrapper - ndisgtk is the graphical frontend - which they say they had to use in an earlier and different version of Linux. Ndiswrapper is a way of using Windows wireless drivers in Linux and was more often needed a few years ago when Linux wireless drivers did not cover the range of wireless devices that they do now. Very few wireless devices require the use of ndiswrapper now. Hopefully, the link I posted will help the OP get their Broadcom card working for which they do not need ndiswrapper.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello dennis17,

You do not need to install windows driver for your card. Linux has a driver for it already.

can you connect your machine temporarily via a Ethernet cable? If you can go to a terminal and run these commands :

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge bcmwl-kernel-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware-nonfree
    Then these:

Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv b43
    sudo modprobe -v b43
    Then reboot . your wiresless should be working.

good luck.
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

kc1di/Dave
    Thanks for that response. I did what instructed and my card "Link" light came on which shows it's recognized. There was no network manager showing on my menu bar so I found the bottom link and followed the instructions. Once installed I found my home connection, entered my PW and bingo..connected..tks
    http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/fix-l...k-manager.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Please mark your thread solved using thread tools at the top of the page.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Glad it worked for you enjoy
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.