Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz Skydomes Not Showing Properly On Background

Beans

Compiz Skydomes Not Showing Properly On Background

Another new release, more Compiz plugin issues. I have learned to live with the fact that 3D windows don't work any more but I like to use Desktop Cube. After upgrading to 14.04, my Skydomes do not display properly on the background. If I deactivate the feature, the black background shows properly, I'd just like to display a nice graphic behind my rotating cube. I was wondering if anyone else is having this same issue.

I have an integrated Intel i915 graphics controller with OpenGL version 1.4. It worked before the upgrade so I don't imagine that anything graphics driver is causing the problems. Has anyone else using Unity encountered and solved this problem?

Thanks,
    Mark

Beans

Re: Compiz Skydomes Not Showing Properly On Background

Hi, Today i installed 14.04 I had many years to use ubuntu,but i remember last time i was using them i had no issues with my skydome.Now i have exactly the same problem as you..I am using an old Nvidia 7900GT with Nvidia legacy binary driver version 304.117....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Same problem. I see something but not the skydome image the way it should display. I really miss the 3D windows as well. : ( I also have an issue with screen dimming when I turn up the cube Transparency. I have had the suspicion that the fact that desktop effects settings no longer can be adjusted under appearence has to do with some of these problems?

Thx
    Last edited by fattyz; April 27th, 2014 at 03:22 PM.
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I installed 14.04 on an Acer Aspire. I installed the prorietary video drivers. Then I tried open source drivers No Change. The background is black if I turn off skydome. If I use Cube Reflection and Deformation The cube will rotate smoothly and the reflection works but still I cannot set the Skydome picture (background of the cube). The background is the original desktop screenshot. When I ctrl Alt mouse The screen shrinks in 3 or for series of desktop snapshots. I did shut off fading windows.

Any ideas?

Need more info?

Beans

The same thing is happening to me also. I upgraded to 14.04 and the skydome does not work

Beans
    Distro

Is this enough people to report a bug?

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't think anyone is working on the unsupported plugins in the compiz-plugins package and
    this is just the way it will be as compiz develops for unity.

Beans
    Distro

I remember reading a quote from Linus Torvalds "Do it yourself." Any ideas where I could start? Is this a problem with Compiz or Unity? My thought is it's a Unity issue. Anyone have ideas for troubleshooting?

Beans
    Hidden!

I think you would have to rewrite the plugin.
    The plugins in the compiz-plugins package are not officially supported so unless you or some one else has
    the know how and inclination to fix, when they break they'll most likely remain broken.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm willing to go back a few versions if it means getting this to work and the extra animations that are also now missing. Anyone else? I don't see any compelling reason to stay at 14.04. Compiz + Emerald are a large % of running Ubuntu at all, at least for me. I am running flashback anyway and could be at 10.04 if everything else worked the same, and I'm fairly sure it would. (I still have IOS 6.1 on my iphone and I'd still have the 3gs if I had known enough not to upgrade : )) If someone went to the trouble to make Emerald work I don't see why not this as well.

Just my thoughts, thanks all.

Yours
    FattyZ

I just copy and paste commands into the terminal from the internet. It either gets fixed or it stops working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast