Re: Computer incompatible with linux

Quote Originally Posted by verymadpip View Post
    Hi there Larry.

Code:
    I have been running firefox under wine
    Why are you doing this?
    Is it a "stress test" kind of thing?
    Firefox works natively in Lubuntu.
    Non sse2 processor - no flash in linux. Wine or old flashplayer versions are the only solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Computer incompatible with linux

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Klein View Post
    Non sse2 processor - no flash in linux. Wine or old flashplayer versions are the only solution.
    Aha, okay.
    My bad.
    That's what I get for not reading up

Beans

Re: Athlon XP, no Flash

I was wrong. Nothing's fixed and the freezing is back. Thanks for everyone's help, but I must give up on linux. I will keep the installation on the partition to visit, but I need something more reliable.

Beans

Re: Athlon XP, no Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Klein View Post
    I was wrong. Nothing's fixed and the freezing is back. Thanks for everyone's help, but I must give up on linux. I will keep the installation on the partition to visit, but I need something more reliable.
    Well, I tried again and all seems to be working.

I'll admit many of the problems were probably of my own making - installing things that were not in the software center (themes, utilities), doing stuff in the terminal that I got of the net, mostly to try to get flash to work.

Now I have LXLE (ubuntu 12.04) installed and have gone over 24 hours with no problems or reboots. It has everything I need, looks nice, and with the qshutdown app I have suspended about 20 times with no problems - a sure freeze previously.

Newbie advice-
    If it is not in the software center - forget it.
    For flash on old machines - search for flashplayer archives, download (save) old version (11.102.62?). Use software center to uninstall flashplayer, extract the old version, and copy and paste it into the mozilla plugin folder. If you are as new as I was, post a request for detailed instructions.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123