Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 14.04 won't load after upgrade

Beans

Ubuntu 14.04 won't load after upgrade

I've just upgraded to 14.04. The upgrade told me to Restart to finish the upgrade but when I did I got a black screen with white writing with 4 lines beginning "mount:mounting..."etc, then "Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init"

I have a laptop with Windows 7 and a wubi installation of Ubuntu. I've been running 13.10 and before that 13.04 without any problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I can't access Ubuntu at the moment.

paul.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 14.04 won't load after upgrade

I have the same problem...

Beans

same problem here; same pattern (13.04 -> 14.04); will post if any of my attempted fixes work...

UPDATE: fwiw, i had to abandon the old wubi install and delete via add/remove programs. i then tried installing 14.04 using the wubi.exe within the new iso (loaded onto a usb stick) but, upon restart, hit the ol' "Serious errors were found while checking the disk drive for /". iso checksum's matched as expected ... I am beginning to wonder if something is amiss with dualbooting on win7 in general...

UPDATE: confirmed that 12.04 and 13.04 install as expected using the normal wubi.exe technique; however 14.04 continues to throw the /sbin/init error
    Last edited by kurttheviking; April 19th, 2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: updated testing

Beans

Also had the same problem with Windows 7, and a Wubi installation. I was upgrading from Ubuntu 12.04.

I found this http://askubuntu.com/questions/15955...18-5-initramfs which I will try and report back.

Beans

Same problem, too.

I solve the problem by changing GRUB2 boot entry from "ro" to "rw" e.g.
    Code:
    linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=AAC884AC1F144321 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
    to
    Code:
    linux	/boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=AAC884AC1F144321 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk rw   quiet splash $vt_handoff

Beans

Hello hakuna_matata, Can you explain exactly how to do this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paulxx View Post
    Hello hakuna_matata, Can you explain exactly how to do this.
    If you see GRUB2 menu with "Ubuntu" and other entries like here (first picture) , you can press "e" to edit the commands before booting.

There you can change the line as I described above. After changing press F10 to boot: Editing the GRUB 2 Menu During Boot

edit: Depending on your configuration it is necessary for Wubi to hold down an arrow key after first menu (Windows boot menu) to see second menu (GRUB2).
    edit2: "an arrow key" should be "shift key"
    Last edited by hakuna_matata; April 22nd, 2014 at 12:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna_matata View Post
    edit: Depending on your configuration it is necessary for Wubi to hold down an arrow key after first menu (Windows boot menu) to see second menu (GRUB2).
    which arrow key did you recommend? i just tried a clean install of 12.04 wubi then attempted upgraded to 14.04. upon reboot, it loads directly to the

Code:
    mount: mounting ... failed: Invalid argument
    mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed ...
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed ...
    mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: ...
    Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init
    No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

(initramfs)
    prompt, with no GRUB menu. I tried pressing each arrow key on boot but it loaded directly to the above.

UPDATE: holding down shift immediately after selecting Ubuntu from the windows boot loader brought up the GRUB screen.

UPDATE: I was able to change the boot command as described which booted into the desktop. However, upon restart I received the error:

Code:
    Serious errors were found while checking the disk drive for /.
    UPDATE: this was getting in the way of me doing work so I abandoned the wubi path, created a new partition for ubuntu (after burning my old recovery partition to disk, shrinking the primary partition, and merging the old recovery partition into the newly created space -- all because my laptop from lenovo came with 4 primary partitions so I couldn't just create a new extended partition)
    Last edited by kurttheviking; April 22nd, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurttheviking View Post
    which arrow key did you recommend?
    Sorry, it is not an arrow key, it is shift key.

Quote Originally Posted by kurttheviking View Post
    UPDATE: I was able to change the boot command as described which booted into the desktop. However, upon restart I received the error:

Code:
    Serious errors were found while checking the disk drive for /.
    It is only a temporary solution to boot into the desktop. If you need a permanent fix, you can change /etc/grub.d/10_lupin
    Code:
    gksudo gedit  /etc/grub.d/10_lupin
    Change the line
    Code:
        linux    ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${LINUX_HOST_DEVICE} loop=${loop_file_relative} ro ${args}
    to
    Code:
    linux    ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${LINUX_HOST_DEVICE} loop=${loop_file_relative} rw ${args}
    save it and
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Beans

This is what has worked for me using hakuna's instructions.
    Once you chose to boot into Ubuntu you will see two options:
    *Ubuntu (highlighted)
    Advanced options for Ubuntu

Just press the 'e' key on your keyboard which will bring up the Grub menu.
    Navigate using the arrow keys to the before last line
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic root=UUID=AAC884AC1F144321 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash $vt_handoff

replace ro with rw then hit F10 your system will boot to Ubuntu.
    In order not to have to do that every time you boot. Do this:
    Open terminal an type:
    Code:
    gedit  /etc/grub.d/10_lupin
    This will open the text editor with a bunch of code
    Find the line linux ${rel_dirname}/${basename} root=${LINUX_HOST_DEVICE} loop=${loop_file_relative}ro${args}
    replace ro with rw and save
    then again in the terminal type
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    You're done. I hope this helps.
    Thanks Hakuna.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast