View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Upgraded to 14.04 Beta (Kubuntu) without any issues. So far the best version of (K)Ubuntu that I ever had running on my machine. A lot of things have improved since 12.04 and I am very happy I could bring myself to upgrading. I am back!

Beans

I made a bootable USB stick of Lubuntu 14.04 (desktop, amd64) with unetbootin in Lubuntu 13.10. The bootable USB image didn't work well. I got a text screen menu of boot options. The Default option immediately failed with an error: "invalid or corrupt kernel image" I chose a different option, the try Lubuntu without installing, and that booted, but the touchpad was not working. Reading that the unetbootin method has problems, I used dd to copy the iso image and tried again. Boot worked fine after that, and could move the mouse pointer with the touchpad. Will need to turn off the tap to click feature. Drives me crazy the way that changes the window focus when I'm in the middle of typing a command and my thumbs brush the touchpad.

For partitions, I tried to use btrfs and ran into another problem. Got an error saying that file system creation failed. When I checked I could not find a mkfs for btrfs. Fixed that with apt-get install btrfs-tools.

Next problem was that grub installation failed. It tried to install on /dev/sda, which was the USB stick. It gave me the option to choose another device, so I was able to pick /dev/sdb. But then the new install failed to boot. After the Stage 1.5 message, grub threw an Error 17.

Tried again with all ext4 file systems, and that time it worked. But I wanted btrfs, so I tried again, creating the btrfs file systems manually. Got this weird message from mkfs.btrfs "Turning ON incompat feature 'extref' " which I read could be stopped with the flag "-O ^extref". That time the install worked, and I have a system that is almost entirely btrfs, except the 256M boot partition which is ext4.

Then tried installing on a 32bit PC, and had more trouble. I installed btrfs-tools, and then the install process crashed, complaining that it ran out of room in /var. Tried again, sticking to ext4, and got another error "Error removing initramfs-tools" and "subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1" Perhaps the /boot partition wasn't big enough? Is 64M on that computer.
    Last edited by bzipitidoo; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:45 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Couldn't vote in the poll - couldn't decide which one to use

Upgrade - worked flawlessly. - Had loads of these.
    Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though. A few of these
    Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve. None of these.
    Install - worked flawlessly. 100's of these.
    Install - worked but had a few things to fix. A few of these
    Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve. None of these

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though. A few of these
    Time for Am Stram Gram
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I had great expectations for 14.04 when I upgraded from 12.04. However, after what would appear to be a normal login, I get a blank pink page with no menus or icons. This is evidently an NVIDIA problem with no apparent solution. I tried dozens of fixes listed in these forums to no avail. I am going to either return to 12.04 or look around for another distro. It's too bad that so many Linux enthusiasts are hitting this brick wall, because as horrible as Windows 8 is, there is no chance that it could ever be replaced by an O/S that defies installation by the average mainstream user.
    Last edited by donrudi; April 22nd, 2014 at 05:27 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thumbs up Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

This thread post is for Ubuntu Gnome.

Had 13.10.
    13.10 glitchy. Switched to 14.04 Release Candidate, on a whim.
    Installed fine.
    Installed 14.04 LTS when it went public.
    Couldn't figure out how to upgrade from the RC
    Downloaded 14.04 LTS, installed to USB stick, and installed.
    Install went fine.

Only problem is ripping audio CD's.
    Installed various (~5) programs, trying around.

Perhaps rebooting will fix the MP3 lame plugin install?
    This deserves a seperate thread or finding said seperate thread.

Finis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post

Same here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Trusty has been an amazing release to work with , both in development cycle and finished product. It has resolved a lot of legacy video driver problems with nVidia and ATi/AMD Radeon graphics. It has brought older adapters into the fold once again. Trusty (like it's predecessor Saucy) has the ability to re-install while keeping all files and bookmarks that are current. This is a sleek system recovery process embedded with the Ubiquity routine.

The only real negative thing that I have had happen once in a blue moon during an install is that out of nowhere, llvmpipe will read it's ugly head. This has got to be one of the most arcane programming routines ever. However, as I said above, it is now only once in a blue moon. It looks like it has been well ironed out.

All in all, Trusty has bested all of the other previous cycles. Not only has it proved that rolling release concepts will work, but that those releases can be progressive releases minus the backsliding downtime. It is yet another 'amazing' hallmark that can be checked off on the Mark Shuttleworth list of things to do and well done.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have two computers with two different Ubuntu versions (Lubuntu and Xubuntu). The keyboard on the computer with Lubuntu began malfunctioning right after I upgraded from Lubuntu 13.10 (64-bit) to Lubuntu 14.04. For the most part the upgrade from Xubuntu 13.10 to Xubuntu 14.04 on the other computer went flawlessly, except that I cannot seem to get the ndis wrapper working properly. The ndis wrapper wasn't working even on Xubuntu 13.10, so it's probably not the upgrade's fault that it's broken now.

I'll upload both computers' hardware specifications later when I'm off work.

Quote Originally Posted by poet1 View Post
    This thread post is for Ubuntu Gnome.

Had 13.10.
    13.10 glitchy. Switched to 14.04 Release Candidate, on a whim.
    Installed fine.
    Installed 14.04 LTS when it went public.
    Couldn't figure out how to upgrade from the RC
    Downloaded 14.04 LTS, installed to USB stick, and installed.
    Install went fine.

Only problem is ripping audio CD's.
    Installed various (~5) programs, trying around.

Perhaps rebooting will fix the MP3 lame plugin install?
    This deserves a seperate thread or finding said seperate thread.

Finis.
    Did you make sure 3rd party software was enabled through software settings? Just maybe that'll fix your issue. Maybe. I'm not entirely sure, but that would be the first thing I'd check.
    Last edited by King Dude; April 23rd, 2014 at 08:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I got my fiance an Asus X550CA for Christmas. It came preinstalled with Windows 8. We tried working with that mess for over a month before we gave up, wiped the drive and installed (Beta 1 at the time) Xubuntu 14.04. Success! She had a usable, fast and reliable machine. In fact, I liked it so much, I just bought the identical machine for myself! The only difference with my machine is, I swapped out the Windows 8 preinstalled HDD with a solid state unit and never even once booted into windows.

The only issue we had with both machines was wifi. It was a super easy fix thanks to this thread right here on Ubuntu Forums.

These machines are super quiet and lend themselves very well to running *buntu. They only have 1.8 i3 CPUs and 4 GB RAM (expandable to 6) but, we couldn't be happier!
    Last edited by bug67; April 24th, 2014 at 07:35 PM.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast