View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    It's that time again, Trusty (14.04) was released today April 17, 2014.

Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Trusty Tahr

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

Poll and thread for the previous release:

Saucy Installation and Upgrade experiences
    Hi, everyone.

I have an elderly (though 'high-spec') Compaq Presario desktop, which was 'donated ' to me by my sister! It was running Windows XP when I received it, but, to be frank, I was getting a bit fed-up with XP after 13 years, and fancied a change...

I installed 'Trusty Tahr' about a month ago, and wondered why I hadn't tried Ubuntu sooner! Easiest install I've ever performed, AND the quickest (I think about 22 mins from start to finish). And everything WORKS...perfectly. I had a bit of fun setting my Epson printer up, but found a way round it; see my thread here for further info:- http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2231123

I've since installed Lubuntu in a dual boot configuration....and that, too, went VERY nicely, and ALSO works perfectly.

The PC has been considerably upgraded since I received it, though I'm limited to 4 Gb of RAM by virtue of the motherboard using DDR1 (!).....and it's running the brilliant AMD Athlon64 (the first commercially successful 64-bit processor, from way back in 2004!) The monitor was a freebie from my bro, and I've purchased the keyboard and printer myself ( I already had them before starting). I did splash out on Logitech's excellent T400 ZoneTouch mouse; best darn mouse I've ever used, in fact...and even the 'sideways' scrolling works 'out-of-the-box'!! Under XP, it required their SetPoint software to work, and at 80 MB+, that's a hefty program for a single function to work!

So, total cost of the entire system as it is now, comes to about £40 GBP; pretty good for a system that does everything I want it to do, and has some of the best community support I've ever come across. Microsoft, you could learn a thing or two from these guys; and everybody's so darn nice about helping others out!

Keep up the good work, guys; Ubuntu is a 'keeper'. I shan't be looking to change again!

Well done.....NICE one.

*UPDATE*
    -------------

Have since installed Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint 17 AND Zorin; all, without exception, very straight-forward and no hassle.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; September 3rd, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by LastDino View Post
    But people say they steal info and are even afraid to use chromebooks. Are you sure you want to hand over your brain to them?

-I jest.

You should have done fresh install tbh. As you seem determined to keep it around for years, you should consider keeping it clean.

I have to agree with LastDino here. If you're going to upgrade, then for chrissakes back EVERYthing up, and do a fresh install. Upgrades don't seem to work any better in Ubuntu than they do in OS X or Windows...

And from what I can make out, you're better off sticking with the LTS releases, since everything seems to have been double-checked that LITTLE bit more thoroughly; that's why, generally speaking, they appear to be more stable.
    Last edited by Mike_Walsh; June 27th, 2014 at 12:52 AM.
    Compaq Presario SR1619UK, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'X-Slacko' & 'Slacko'
    Dell Inspiron 1100, running Xubuntu & Puppies 'TahrPup' & 'Precise'

IF
    the advice given has helped you, PLEASE have the courtesy to post back and say 'Thank you'..!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I've been using Ubuntu for a while and got rid of it since I got a MacBook Air.
    Then I got a fancy 128GB USB (but USB 2.0 ).
    I tried putting in Windows, and Mac OS X (Yosemite, Mavericks, Mountain Lion) and I decided that all of them were too slow for my fancy, but slow 128GB USB.
    So I thought about Linux and what I thought of instantly was Ubuntu.
    I used LiLi (Linux Live USB Creator) on my Windows PC and did some tweaks to make it FULLY persistent, not the 4GB limit.
    Now I am using it, and it is not as fast but definitely not slow.

Beans

Decided on a fresh install from DVD. I had to use GParted to nuke my drive's partition before Ubuntu would even think of installing. On the fourth try, I finally got 14.04 to install without any errors. Restoring from backup resulted in a 'hash mismatch for file' error, so I lost several directories that I've yet to get back.

Now that I got everything working, 14.04 seems to be snappier than 13.04. (Crossing fingers).

Beans

My install works great out of the box, my sound, network, tv (I use flat screen tv for monitors who need computer monitors.), and a Logitech wireless that work great too, even some of the hot keys worked!

Next was some of my fun stuff, playonlinux for office 2010, web8 for netflix and then the fluendo codec, I only couldn't get Fluendo DVD player installed, said was missing dependancies, so I went for VLC with libdvdcss4 and was good to go. I would be nice for the dvd player, but no worries, excellent job fokes, keep up the good work!

Luv my Ubuntu systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I am quadruple booting on this box.

Prior Prudent Planning Preventing P**s Poor Performance !
    AMD Athlon X2 CPU with ATI graphics;
    Reverting the old install to as close to default as possible, and disabling screensavers:

(L)ubuntu upgrade, went flawlessly - no problem at all
    ubuntu as a fresh clean install, flawless, no problem at all
    ubuntu minimal install, upgrade, flawless, no problem at all
    ubuntu 12.04 remains as my backup go to OS in the event of a serious OH NO event.

All in all, all my fears and trepidations were for naught !

done deal and
    setting pretty
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    It's that time again, Trusty (14.04) was released today April 17, 2014.

Please tell us about your experience upgrading, or doing a fresh install of Trusty Tahr

Keep in mind that this thread is only for your experience, if you are having problems, please create a thread in the support forums.

Poll and thread for the previous release:

Saucy Installation and Upgrade experiences
    Hi everyone, i only just joined, but i just wanted to say, i am simply IN LOVE with Trusty Tahr.

I have only been using Ubuntu for almost a year now, and since using windows, i can't even stand to look at another windows platform.
    I am slowly but surely converting friends and family to Ubuntu. My sisters BF is in love with it, it gave his laptop a whole new feel, and made it feel like a new laptop, as it did mine when i upgraded from windows 7.

I love having a PC where you dont need desktop icons, Trusty is very fast, and everything just snaps into place, lightening fast actually.

I never realised how bogged down PC's can become with windows software. With Ubuntu, they give you YOUR CHOICE, not what they think you should have or might need.

To everyone who makes Ubuntu possible, your all amazing people, and i simply wanted to say thank you for making my computing experience so much better. : )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed Trusty as a dual boot option to my old Dell Dimension running WinXP. I just realized that I can access my documents & pictures in windows and edit & upload without rebooting. OUTSTANDING! I love it! I may never boot to windows again. I also added another 115GB HDD slave for storage. All of a sudden my old, obsolete PC has a new lease on life. I just saved myself $700. I still might have to replace the CPU eventually but this one is hanging in there. Again, this is working out better than I ever imagined. Thank you, Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For me even three months after release was still not long enough to wait before upgrading 13.10 to 14.04 on my Asus 1215p EeePC.

Problem #1, function key brightness controls no longer worked. Fortunately I found this workaround http://itsfoss.com/fix-brightness-ubuntu-1310/
    Problem #2, My Verizon Wireless Pantech UML295W that used to work in 13.10 eth1 is now broken. It constantly handshakes, disconnects and repeats. NIDSwrapper is broken. That problem is still unresolved.

So far I am not impressed. One thing I do not expect with upgrades is serious regressions. I will NOT be upgrading ANY of my other machines for at least another three months or until my existing problems are resolved, which ever is later.

Sorry but this misses the mark.
    Last edited by ZeroFossilFuel; July 17th, 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I upgraded from Precise about a week after Trusty came out. The upgrade itself was a breeze, although I had to reinstall quite a few programs afterwards (not a lot of work though with the Software Center). The upgrade fixed several bugs that I had previously, but also introduced its own set of smallish problems. Most of these have been sorted out by now, though I still find the Dash search to be rather slow.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast