View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    I got my fiance an Asus X550CA for Christmas. It came preinstalled with Windows 8. We tried working with that mess for over a month before we gave up, wiped the drive and installe (Beta 1 at the time) Xubuntu 14.04. Success! She had a usable, fast and reliable machine. In fact, I liked it so much, I just bought the identical machine for myself! The only difference with my machine is I swapped out the Windows 8 preinstalled HDD with a solid state unit and never even once booted into windows.

The only issue we had with both machines was wifi. I was a super easy fix thanks to this thread right here on Ubuntu Forums.

These machines are super quiet and lend themselves very well to running *buntu. They only have 1.8 i3 CPUs and 4 GB RAM (expandable to 6) but, we couldn't be happier!
    Expanding the memory to 6GB might not be a bad idea, because if it uses Intel integrated graphics then it'll "borrow" RAM for graphics memory. No hurry though, there is no need to spring for more RAM at this time, but in a couple years it may be an option to think about. Check out Xubuntu sometime, as it runs extremely well on laptops and other low/medium-powered computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by King Dude View Post
    "...Check out Xubuntu sometime..."
    We are running Xubuntu. But I said that in my post already.

RAM is cheap.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bug67 View Post
    We are running Xubuntu. But I said that in my post already.
    I must have over looked that part. Sorry 'bout that. It's been one hell of a morning for me

By the way, did you use Ext4 or Btrfs to format your SSD?
    Last edited by King Dude; April 24th, 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I must have over looked that part. Sorry 'bout that. It's been one hell of a morning for me

By the way, did you use Ext4 or Btrfs to format your SSD?
    No problem. It happens.

Xubuntu/XFCE has been my distro/DE of choice since Unity came along. Although, I am running vanilla Ubuntu in a virtual machine on my Mac and, I gotta say, it's finally getting to the point where it's becoming usable.

I am running Ext4 on all my Xubuntu machines.
    Last edited by bug67; April 25th, 2014 at 12:21 AM.

Beans

I had a old laptop laying around with ubuntu12.04 on it ( the kids ) and decided to try the upgrade to 14.04. After an hour or so I rebooted the laptop with the fresh 14.04 on it twice and had no errors at all. All seems to work great so far. I think this is the first time I had a upgrade actually work from one version to another. I still have two more laptops to try.

Beans

Did fresh install a couple of days back. Have a couple of glitches I haven't solved yet. 1) Compiz Settings Manager seems to revert to 1 desktop every time I go there, and 2) Trusty seems not to let me run shell scripts in terminal. If I open a terminal manually and up myself with sudo -i, then I can copy and paste stuff which all works, but I'm guessing I shouldn't have to be forced to do all that every time.

Else, 14.04 works pretty darned well.

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Did you make sure 3rd party software was enabled through software settings? Just maybe that'll fix your issue. Maybe. I'm not entirely sure, but that would be the first thing I'd check.
    Turns out I did do that at some point. Hah! The audio CD was giving me problems. Tried a different CD, and that different CD worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

"Expanding the memory to 6GB might not be a bad idea..."
    So, I remembered I had an old laptop that the mother board was fried in. I had 2x4 GB sticks in it. I salvaged one of them and put it into he new laptop for a grand total of 8 GB in the new machine! Holy smokies!

Found out that I can indeed expand up to 12 GB. The stock 4 GB of ram is not servicible, not by me anyhow. But, I can go with up to an 8 GB stick in the user servicible expansion slot. Maybe down the road...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

tried upgrade from an a fresh install of raring, said it was out of memory. checked with ksysguard, 4g was free of 6g. did fresh install of 14.04.
    now finally got rid of the wireless failing on my laptop (toshiba satellite c55) fresh install, had to install kernel 3.14.1. now things are running smoothly. also had terrible response time problem with kernel 3.13.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Installing it was easy, but I learned that simply selecting option replace the older Ubuntu and do fresh install means wipe out entire HD and create only 2 partitions ( Swap and /) , I have my doubts that swap was probably untouched from older installation.
    Oh well, I'm into habit of taking backups, so it wasn't ''pull out my hair experience'' but it certainly popped few veins in my head. Anyway, Unity was certainly better than 13.10 and it was faster than before. But somehow I had urge of having Xubuntu so I shifted to that in less than 2 days after having fresh 14.04 Ubuntu LTS installed. This was fresh install as well. Served me as excuse to get my usual partition system (/, /boot, swap, home and 2 other ext4 compartments for storage purpose).

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast