View Poll Results: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
174. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

35 20.11%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

26 14.94%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

16 9.20%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

43 24.71%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

37 21.26%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

17 9.77%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Share with us your Trusty (14.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

My install went very well and Wow, 14.04 looks and runs beautifully!!

The only issue ran into was with PlayonLinux with the font installer but nothing other than that. All that I need running is working quite well and I am really liking this version of Ubuntu! Thank you for all the hard work and such a wonderful distro!
    Joe Johnston
    Ubuntu GNOME
    "All the best people in life seem to like LINUX." Steve Wozniak

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Only fix I had is installing 14.2 AMD Drivers for my AMD HD 8400.

I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 64-bit =D
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit Fast Ring - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP Stream 13 - elementary Loki 64-bit
    HP Envy M6 - Windows 10 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Upgraded.

Worked beautifully. Was a bit hesitant doing it since I've never had success before, but this time was super smooth.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KBD47 View Post
    Same problem with Lubuntu today. I thought they had left out my wireless firmware, but the whole applet was missing. Big bug for an LTS release. ...
    Someone filed a bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...l/+bug/1308348
    Users can easily damage their systems by using sudo su if they aren't experienced enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Upgraded and everything works fine, even though I upgraded Xubuntu with KDE, LXDE & Fluxbox as well as Xfce.

I've noticed that so far I'm not having any problems with the on-board Intel Graphics adapter after the update. That alone makes the upgrade nice in my book. The ONLY glitch was KDM disappeared after update & had LightDM again, but a quick trip to Synaptic Package Manager fixed that.
    This post is like Brigadoon!

Beans

I'm new to Ubuntu, beena while since I used Mandrake Linux. I have had a few year old HP G61 415SA lying around, so picked up a copy of Linux Format and they had Ubuntu 3.10 on it so gave it a try and it worked fine. Typical of me to get it just before a major upgrade - so here we are having updated overnight - and it all went well - just a few issues I spotted on the terminal ( reprorted elsewhere here ) .
    Much less hastle that I expected - Linux has improved a lot since I last used it. I'll keep this going an use as my internet machine - - I've been having problems with Win 8, 8.1 recently and this is a pleasant change.

Many thanks for all the hard work.
    Mal

Beans

My fresh install has been atrocious. I finally decided to move up from 10.04 32 bit on my main PC. I have 12.04 installed on some.of my other PCs, and Unity has been buggy.

I'm guessing my problem has to do with Unity. After I log in, the OS is completely non-functional. Sometimes the screen turns to garbage, only once have I got the side bar, and the mouse barely works. I can't even get to a terminal to install a different DE. I'm now looking into alternate solutions to make this entire nightmare functional.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

I did an upgrade from 13.10 to 14.04 on an Intel based desktop me and my wife have been sharing lately. The upgrade went perfectly, all our data was there and everything works better than ever! The new release fixed the black looking dash issue and multimedia playback with full screen flash is nice and smooth now. The upgrade was very worthwhile and you just can not beat 5 years of support!

My 5 and 8 year old boys managed to break the computer I put together for them... I put together another desktop for them out of spare parts and installed their hard drive from the broken machine with 13.10. The computer kind of worked for about an hour but the next day they could not get to the desktop because of serious graphics problems. The desktop appeared as red and orange horizontal lines.... I tried for a while to fix the problem but ended up just installing the last daily build of 14.04.

I still had graphics issues on the boys computer but managed to make it to the desktop in failsafe mode. I installed the NVidea 304 drivers using Jockey and everything is working nice now. I still have to go back and fix Plymouth for them but that is just cosmetic The boys seem happy with the new release and the computer has a better processor and more RAM, they play a lot of games so things turned out very well in the end.

I did a fresh install of a daily build on my used HP 655 laptop I bought from a pawn shop a week or so ago. The laptop had Windows 8 installed and it has secure boot, this was my first encounter with secure boot and GPT partitions. I knew to set the BIOS to legacy mode but my first attempt to install 14.04 gave me a GPT error. I googled the problem and the common solution was to remove the partitions that Windows had created. After deleting the partitions I still got the GTP error but the installer went past it and the install was successful.

For being unfamiliar with such modern hardware things turned out very well for me! I noticed that after updating the system I had a signed kernel, I went ahead and turned secure boot back on in the BIOS and the system booted up with no problems. I have a lot of reading to do on secure boot but I decided that it was probably a good idea to have it enabled. My friends on the PCLinuxOS forum gave me some links with all of the information I should need on the subject.

The bottom line is that both the upgrade process and a clean install work great and all of the computers are running with no problems. Ubuntu 14.04 has some fantastic refinements in it and it was well worth the time to install and upgrade to it. I just do not always have a lot of time to spend re-installing my operating system every 6 months and 14.04 has a great amount of support time. The latest version of Unity has some terrific features and refinements and I am sure I will be happy running it until Unity 8 is refined and in the same shape.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Great to hear d-cosner! And yes, deciding on switch release of Ubuntu to use is totally depending on what you want out of the OS - do you not care re-installing every 6 to 9 months? Get the newest release. Do you want long term support and stability? Get the LTS. That's what's great about Linux imo, the freedom to do what you want and have what you need =]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Reinstall went cleanly. Also installation on my Netbook was error free and straightforward.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast