Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Edit Pale Moon Icon in Launcher Bar

Beans

Edit Pale Moon Icon in Launcher Bar

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 Rusty Tahr with the gnome desktop. My preferred browser is Pale Moon and I've placed an icon on the launcher that runs the executable. Problem is it isn't the "pretty" Pale Moon icon but a gray box with a question mark on it. How can I change this to the PM icon? I have searched for a solution to this but can't seem to find what will work.

I appreciate your assistance.
    Last edited by phaedrus3; May 6th, 2015 at 05:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Edit Pale Moon Icon in Launcher Bar

Where is the pale moon launcher located in the system?
    In the user's .local/share/applications directory or the system's /usr/share/applications directory?

Find it
    open the text editor gedit
    (you can either drag and drop it into gedit or run the Open dialog in gedit to search for it; typically open >> go to sidebar "Computer" >> usr >> share >> applications >> name-of-application.desktop.)

Look at the path of the icon.

Also, sometimes I've noticed that icons fail to show until a logout and login happens, so...
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

I've restarted Ubuntu before posting query. Palemoon program executable is in /opt and icon (mozicon128.png) is at path /opt/palemoon25.1.0/browser/icons. Gedit would not open palemoon executable (program) except in uneditable form, however. It suggested I try a different language resulting in same.

Beans
    Hidden!

You will have to edit the palemoon.desktop file, or whatever it is called as root so try using
    Code:
    sudo nano /path/to/palemoon.desktop
    Save it with Ctrl+O and close nano with Ctrl+X.

The desktop file will look a bit like below with lines showing possibly for many different languages
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Name=Firefox
    Comment=Browse the World Wide Web
    GenericName=Web Browser
    Keywords=Internet;WWW;Browser;Web;Explorer
    Exec=firefox %u
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Icon=firefox
    Categories=GNOME;GTK;Network;WebBrowser;
    StartupNotify=false
    Look for the line
    Icon=path/to/icon/file
    and edit it to your own pathway
    Icon=/opt/palemoon25.1.0/browser/icons/filename
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    You will have to edit the palemoon.desktop file, or whatever it is called as root so try using
    Code:
    sudo nano /path/to/palemoon.desktop
    Save it with Ctrl+O and close nano with Ctrl+X.
    I really do appreciate the response however - and forgive my ignorance - wouldn't this require the .exe or link to .exe to be on the desktop? I haven't, er, fully transitioned out of windows, you see. The program is in /opt. I simply dragged that onto the gnome launcher on the edge of the screen. I do know where the preferred icon is and if I could use (nano?) to open the file similar to the one you list I think I'd be there. I searched in "computer" for "palemoon.desktop" and, of course, didn't find. Could anyone dumb this down for me?
    Last edited by phaedrus3; May 6th, 2015 at 07:57 PM.

It maybe easier if you removed your currently installed version (to /opt) & just added this palemoon ppa.
    It installs normally with a proper .desktop file & icon ect.
    ppa here -
    https://launchpad.net/~marian.kadank...buntu/palemoon

If you installed using the installer script then run the script, it should have an uninstall option.
    After that remove launcher icon if still there
    Then -
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marian.kadanka/palemoon
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install palemoon
    Then just start palemoon & lock icon that appears in the launcher to the launcher.

If using the ppa ect. I'd also do this after install
    Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/applications/palemoon.desktop
    Use arrow keys to go down to the StartupNotify=true line & make it StartupNotify=false
    Then save & exit nano
    ctrl+o
    press enter key
    ctrl+x

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    It maybe easier if you removed your currently installed version (to /opt) & just added this palemoon ppa.
    It installs normally with a proper .desktop file & icon ect.
    ppa here -
    https://launchpad.net/~marian.kadank...buntu/palemoon
    That's a good idea. I thought to use the Synaptic Packager Manager to uninstall however Pale Moon doesn't appear there. I honestly don't recall how I installed PM its been so long.

Can I use sudo apt-get remove palemoon? or should one use sudo apt-get --purge remove palemoon?
    Last edited by phaedrus3; May 6th, 2015 at 10:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

As mc4man said "If you installed using the installer script then run the script, it should have an uninstall option."

You can't use synaptic or apt-get remove to uninstall something that was installed the way you installed palemoon.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    As mc4man said "If you installed using the installer script then run the script, it should have an uninstall option."
    I guess I'm just stuck then cause I have no idea how I installed the program. Unless you can tell me what the installer script is. Thanks anyhow.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus3 View Post
    I guess I'm just stuck then cause I have no idea how I installed the program. Unless you can tell me what the installer script is. Thanks anyhow.
    Just get the installer here http://sourceforge.net/projects/pm4linux/ and use it as described in the readme. It offers the options to update or remove Pale Moon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast