Thread: VPN - only enable connectivity through VPN; else *STOP* it

Exclamation VPN - only enable connectivity through VPN; else *STOP* it

hello,

i would like to find out how to setup a way of cutting/stopping my connectivity on my gnome3 desktop when my VPN connection is lost.

what may happen at times is that my VPN is lost and my browser continues without a VPN - plain connection.

Furthermore, i would like to garantee that all traffic - including DNS is sent over the VPN.

it is a security matter to get this to work properly.

many thanks,
    Last edited by nicolasdiogo; April 20th, 2014 at 11:01 AM.
    www.brainpowered.net
    supporting Open-Source in Europe. Business Intelligence, Talend ETL & Database Services

Re: VPN - only enable connectivity through VPN; else *STOP* it

** bumping **

and another reason to have this working properly.

thanks,

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/03/...c-dns-service/

there are government agencies doing all they can to disrupt free speach.
    in ever so sofisticated and undisguised ways..
    www.brainpowered.net
    supporting Open-Source in Europe. Business Intelligence, Talend ETL & Database Services

bumping ..

Beans

Actually, from what I've been able to tell, the TorGuard VPN client does exactly that. When the connection gets dropped, for any reason, it blocks you from any and all internet traffic until you either log in again or close out of the TorGuard client altogether. That's probably the single biggest reason I use TorGuard. As far as it routing all traffic through the VPN, I haven't been able to find any holes; everything (torrents, browser traffic etc.) all routes through their servers. I still use TOR on top of it most of the time (as an extra precaution). I can't imagine there would be any difference between Gnome 3 and my Voyager XFCE desktop in regard to VPNs. Then again, I'm probably not the most tech savy person, I just fake my way through it most of the time.

Beans

Oh, but I'd still avoid the US servers that they offer, just to be on the safe side. The Rotterdam (Netherlands) server or the Norway server seem to be the fastest. I get about 50 mbps and still seem to get the same speeds when running my VPN client on them; I get damn close to those speeds when using Romania or Russia. I haven't really used many of the other servers, though.

thanks for the suggestion of the service,

could you tell me if i could use the software with another VPN provider?

i am currently using EARTHVPN

Cheers
    www.brainpowered.net

Beans

It's open-source so you could probably make it use a different service, but it just works for TorGuard out of the box.