Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Copy.com referral thread

Beans

Re: Ubuntu One Alternative, now that it's being shut down?

Yes, copy seems to work like Ubuntu One, but with loads more free space.

The Copy Linux client seems to be tricky to get running in comparison to Ubuntu One, or the Copy client on Android and Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Both Ubuntuone, dropbox and copy.com only download files to the smartphone when asked to ("download" or "favorite")

I always preferred UbuntuOne but now it's going away I have migrated to copy.com on all my machines (linux, windows, Android).

If you like to earn an additional 5Gb on top of the free 15 Gb, use this link: https://copy.com?r=VZlg7v.

If you refer others to copy.com, you will also get an additional 5Gb for each referral, as long as they install the software.
    Acer Extensa laptop 5220-201G08Mi 080424 [Cpu M560,HD 80Gb,RAM 2Gb,Wlan BCM4312,Bios V1.34,Vista HB ditched )]
    OS=Precise Pangolin 12.05
    Dropbox too small? I recommend free 15Gb from copy.com + 5Gb bonus for both of us

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have no financial or other interest in this service. I am just a satisfied user.
    I have found a nice alternative for the soon to be discontinued Ubuntu One service which I have come to rely on. It's called Copy and it works with Linux, Android, Windows, iOS & OSx. Very affordable. They start you with 15GB for free and if you refer someone else and they sign up through the referral, you and the person signing up get an additional 5 GB free each for a total of 20 GB. You can do this as many times as you like to get a lot of free storage. This is a limited time offer to generate buzz for the service.

I am currently using it in Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit and on my Galaxy S4 phone. It does a nice job. On the Ubuntu side, the folder it creates in your home directory (Copy) supports symlinks, so I just created links to various document and etc. folders that I had in Home and dragged them into the Copy folder and it all just works. (right click the file or folder and select "Make Link" then drag the resulting icon into the Copy folder.

To install, when you download their Linux installer, just extract it to where ever you want. It will all be in a folder called copy_agent. Inside this folder is a folder called copy. Inside it are the installers. Choose the version you need from the choices, armv6h, x86 and x86_64. Inside the appropriate installer folder is, among other things, an executable called CopyAgent. I checked to make sure it was set as executable (it was) and then double clicked it to install. It will create the ~/Copy folder for you. Don't forget to check your e-mail after you log into it for the first time to get your free 5 GB. Even if you want to buy additional space, it is much cheaper than all the other services.

In short, it's no harder than download, extract and click to install.

Here is the link to get the installer and extra free 5 GB so you will have a 20 GB account for free when you are done.

https://copy.com?r=aTrLih
    Using Ubuntu since Warty Warthog (4.10)
    32 bit 5.04>5.10>6.06>6.10>7.04>7.10>8.04>8.10>9.04>9.10
    64 bit 9.10 upgraded to 10.04>10.10>11.04>11.10>12.04>14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: New Cloud Sync service Copy.com

Here are some quick installation instructions for copy:

To install, after you download their Linux installer, just extract it to where ever you want. It will all be in a folder called copy_agent. Inside this folder is a folder called copy. Inside it are the installers. Choose the version you need from the choices, armv6h, x86 and x86_64. Inside the appropriate installer folder is, among other things, an executable called CopyAgent. I checked to make sure it was set as executable (it was) and then double clicked it to install. It will create the ~/Copy folder for you. Don't forget to check your e-mail after you log into it for the first time to get your free 5 GB. Even if you want to buy additional space, it is much cheaper than all the other services.

Here again is the link to get the installer and extra free 5 GB so you will have a 20 GB account for free when you are done.

https://copy.com?r=aTrLih

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Copy.com referral thread

Moved here a bunch of referral posts from this thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2215788
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgmiller View Post
    It's horrible to install compared to Ubuntu one. You need some tech knowledge for Copy. And the installation instructions miss out important things that only geeks would know. Ubuntu One was easy. And many people have problems with the App indicator not working on CopyAgent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    It's horrible to install compared to Ubuntu one. You need some tech knowledge for Copy. And the installation instructions miss out important things that only geeks would know. Ubuntu One was easy. And many people have problems with the App indicator not working on CopyAgent.
    Ubuntu One came included in Ubuntu.. how much easier can you have it than THAT?!

Copy is not that difficult to install, though. The following code download and extract Copy client, place application code in /opt/copy/ and starts the service. In the setup wizard that starts you can elect to have it start automatically when you log in and what folders to synchronize.
    Code:
    wget https://copy.com/install/linux/Copy.tgz
    tar -xvzf Copy.tgz

# optional clean-up
    rm Copy.tgz

# If your Ubuntu is Ubuntu 64bits:
    cd copy/x86_64
    # If your Ubuntu is Ubuntu 32bits:
    cd copy/x86

#Then:
    sudo ./CopyCmd Overlay install

sudo mkdir /opt/copy
    sudo cp -r * /opt/copy
    cd ../..
    rm -r copy
    cd /opt/copy 
    ./CopyAgent &
    Source of coding instructions found here.

I used these code to install it in Ubuntu and on my openSUSE systems. Running on openSUSE threw an error but that is because openSUSE is running KDE and not Unity/Gnome.

I actually have more space in my Copy.com account than I do on the systems' hard drives! So I am considering making an "Archive" folder and not synchronizing it so I could upload files manually and store them in the Archive folder as a backup without having to worry about filling up my hard drives.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Re: Google Drive and Insync - some problems with file names

I like Google Drive. Copy.com has a nice Linux client for syncing files and I just started using it. So far so good.
    If you or anyone else is interested in trying out Copy.com use the link below for 20 gigs free online storage:
    https://copy.com?r=eVpEkJ
    Best Wishes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ianp5a View Post
    Ubuntu One was built into the OS, so other than setting up the account, there was not much else to do. Any replacement is going to require some installation, but this one is very easy.
    I don't understand your confusion. There is almost no tech knowledge required. You should know which architecture you are using. If in doubt, look at System Settings > details and it will tell you if you are 32 bit or 64 bit. If you are running an arm processor, I assume you would know that.

Otherwise, it's entirely a gui/mouse install. You click the link provided by anyone in this message thread, https://copy.com?r=aTrLih , it will allow you to download the linux installer to (presumably) your download directory. Open the download directory and right click the tar.gz installer file it and tell it "extract here", open the resulting folder and select your architecture; arm, 32 bit or 64 bit, open that folder and double click on the CopyAgent file. It's all gui based and wizard driven, as simple as installing a lot of Windows software.

If you are having a problem with the app indicator, just log off and back onto your system and it will work.

As far as using it in its "native" folder:
    In Ubuntu One, drag what you want to sync into the Ubuntu One folder.
    In Copy, drag what you want to sync into the Copy folder.

As far as using it on folders outside the Ubuntu One folder or Copy folder, this is the difference:
    In Ubuntu One, you would select a file or folder and right click it and select Ubuntu One > Synchronize this folder.
    In Copy, you select a file or folder and right click it and select "Make Link". You then drag the resulting link icon into the Copy folder.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion you may have.
    Last edited by bapoumba; April 17th, 2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Lost in transmission..

Beans

Re: Copy.com referral thread

It is not as easy to use as Ubuntu One but it is my favorite alternative so far. Using symlinks is as easy as creating a link of a folder and copying it to the Copy folder. But I had to restart the system in order to get it synching for the first time.

Using this referral code https://copy.com?r=RS9B4K you get your free 20GB and I get some extra espace.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast