Thread: Determine last used or prefered Desktop Enviorment from TTY

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Determine last used or prefered Desktop Enviorment from TTY

Greetings everybody.

I have searched (googled) quite a bit for an solution to determine what the last DE of choice was while in TTY.
    Because the usual variable such as $DESKTOP_SESSION were not available. I need your help please.

After quite a bit of searching the only solution I found was:
    Code:
     cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf | grep user-session= | colrm 1 13
    The file lightdm.conf shows the user session and with "grep"ing a line and then with "column remove" I managed to get the exact result.
    The reason I wanted this is because I wish to install some tweaks with a bash script on a minimal system.

For example

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    $MySession='cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf | grep user-session= | colrm 1 13'

if [ $MySession = "xubuntu" ] then
       apt-add-repository $MyXfceApp
    elif [ $MySession = "ubuntu" ] then
       add-apt-repository $MyUnityApp
    else
       echo "Desktop session not recognized. " 
    fi
    My Question:
    I'd imagine that looking into a file is not the best way to choose. Therefor I'm wandering if this can be accomplished in a more definitive or reliable way from the TTY. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
    Last edited by octius4u; April 16th, 2014 at 03:55 AM.

Beans

Re: Determine last used or prefered Desktop Enviorment from TTY

If you mean where lightdm looks to know what each individual user's last desktop session was, I think that's in /var/lib/AccountsService/users/

Code:
    $ sudo cat /var/lib/AccountsService/users/steeldriver 
    [User]
    XSession=Lubuntu
    XKeyboardLayouts=
    AFAIK this is essentially the same information as in each user's ~/.dmrc file (but potentially available to the lightdm greeter before the home directory is accessible)

Code:
    cat /home/steeldriver/.dmrc 

[Desktop]
    Session=Lubuntu
    Last edited by steeldriver; April 16th, 2014 at 04:16 AM. Reason: added .dmrc info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Determine last used or prefered Desktop Enviorment from TTY

Thank you for your response. I didn't know about this location. I will look at it from within other Desktop Environments as well.

I would have preferred a variable of sorts or a command or any other way to choose what Desktop Environment was/is used while I am in a TTY. I would prefer an alternative means of determining DE's other then looking into a file for the answer, because files are modified for various reasons, and I don't believe they are the most stable method. Or am I wrong?

Basically I'm saying the reading a file feels like cheating and was hoping that the OS would be able to tell me the installed DE's trough a variable, or by use of a command.
    Or simply put how would a pro go about determining what DE is installed from within a bash script, while in TTY in order to install the corresponding PPAs and APPs.
    Last edited by octius4u; April 16th, 2014 at 05:57 AM.