Thread: Just put the forcepae option after the "--" entry on the installer command line

Beans
    Hidden!

Just put the forcepae option after the "--" entry on the installer command line

I started testing Lubuntu Trusty final with a Pentium M CPU with forcepae, and it works. It runs live, and I can install it.

But the forcepae boot option is not automatically added in /etc/default/grub

which I suspect will cause problems to upgrade to a new kernel, when the next kernel version will be released.

Should I report it as a bug to Launchpad? In that case, against what package?

I think it will also affect Xubuntu (and I think people will try Xubuntu with forcepae in computers with Pentium M and more than 512 MB RAM).

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: forcepae boot option not automatically added in /etc/default/grub

I tried to install the low latency kernel, and yes, it complains, that there 'This kernel does not support a non-PAE CPU'.

And apport was started automatically, so here we go with the bug report #1307862

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1307862

If you own a computer with a Pentium M or Celeron M CPU please add affects me too to the bug report!

Beans
    Hidden!

I tested this solution:

Add forcepae into /etc/default/grub when installing with forcepae

and of course run sudo update-grub afterwards to get it into /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

And after doing that manually I could install the other kernel (in this case the low-latency kernel). My Thinkpad T42 with Pentium M works with both kernels.

So I suggest that this will be done automatically for the benefit of all users including the refugees from XP
    Last edited by sudodus; April 16th, 2014 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Good news about forcepae, that should be entered into a wiki page

-----
    Colin Watson wrote 40 minutes ago: #8

Just put the forcepae option after the "--" entry on the installer command line and it will be copied to the target system.

The "--" entry defines the boundary between options which are specific to the installer and ones that are copied to the target system.

sudodus wrote 18 minutes ago: #9

This is new and positive information

I did not know the function of -- and I think many people need to be informed about it.

See this link for the 'whole story'

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1307105
    -----

I have tested, and I can confirm that it works