Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloning old hard drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Cloning old hard drive

The hard drive doesn't even show up in the BIOS. In fact, it makes the regular one not show up as well, and swapping which IDE connectors each drive gets does nothing. Also, according to Wikipedia, slitaz is supposed to work in 16MB of ram on one of the settings and 48MB on another, I have 64 to work with.
    "I used to think I knew a lot about computers. Then I tried Ubuntu."
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Hidden!

I can't help you with the IDE drive. It might be damaged, but let us hope it is only some mismatch in the newer computer.

Yes, but probably there is some other issue with Slitaz, for example some hardware driver. It is still worth trying some of the other really small distros,

DSL, Tiny Core, Puppy. I would guess chances are best with DSL, but of course, I don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Both IDE drives work fine in their proper computers. Also, remember my problem is that I wish to clone the drive, and that means there needs to be disk imaging software like dd available on whatever distro I use.

Beans
    Hidden!

I just booted it into an old Dell with a Pentium 4 and gave it only 64 MB RAM via the boot option. I entered

Code:
    dsl mem=64M
    You need not do that, let it grab all RAM available!

It runs with network (internet connection), graphical desktop etc, and I checked that dd is available.

I ran it from an old CD with DSL version 4.4.10 with the linux kernel 2.4. You may find some newer version via the internet, but I think all DSL versions are based on 2.4, which is good for compatibility with old hardware. At least you should be able to find a version of DSL based on linux 2.4.

So please try DSL. I think it is the best alternative in this case

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I booted into DSL 4.4.10 (installed with Universal USB Installer). I got to the DSL logo screen, pressed enter, and nothing happens. I could get to the boot options, and I chose "dsl dma" because I accidently did that thinking it was "dsl 2" (text mode), and it (slowly) booted into the GUI. My question is how to use dd. It's not listed in "help" and when I type it, it goes to a blank line (no "dsl@box:~$") and nothing happens. At this point, if I type anything, it repeats it to me and then presents me with another blank line. So close Any help?

EDIT: "help dd" works, but help isn't that helpful. How do you use "dd" (I would have posted this in Absolute beginners section, but felt I shouldn't do that since it's not Ubuntu.) to clone a hard drive. I tried what a tutorial said:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda conv=sync,noerror bs=64K | gzip -c  > /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz
    but it didn't work. It gave the following errors:

Code:
    dd: invalid number '64K'
    bash: /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz: Permission denied
    Not sure if I said this, but I'm trying to make the file on the second of 2 flash drives (the first one is for booting DSL) in the PC. I'd like some n00b help
    Last edited by quadrplax; April 22nd, 2014 at 03:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

0. Run dd as root or with sudo

1. Check very carefully that you get the correct drive letters and partition numbers with

Code:
    sudo fdisk -lu
    sudo blkid
    df
    Try either of these commands (assuming the internal drive (the source) is hda and the target partition is sda1

As root:

Edit: Mount the target drive

Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda bs=4096 | gzip  > /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz
    or (the following command is probably slower)

Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda | gzip  > /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz
    or with sudo:

Code:
    sudo -s
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
    dd if=/dev/hda bs=4096 | gzip  > /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz
    sync
    exit
    or (the without the bs specifier)

Code:
    sudo -s
    dd if=/dev/hda | gzip  > /mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz
    sync
    exit
    Last edited by sudodus; April 23rd, 2014 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added description of mounting

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Oh, stupid me forgetting about the fdisk command. I forgot to mention that I did do it with sudo before and it didn't work. Anyway, I think I may have broke something. I tried booting again, and accidentally pressed F1 first. This made the F2 or <enter> screen go away for a second and come back. I went to F2, typed "dsl dma" and the cursor went to the next line but nothing happened. I shut down the computer (with the power button) and it froze on the DSL logo screen. Help?

EDIT: nevermind, got it to work by typing in "dsl dma" without pressing F2
    Last edited by quadrplax; April 22nd, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
    MY SYSTEMS: Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an HP EliteBook 6930p; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on a 16GB flash drive; Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS on a Dell Dimension 4550

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, I got the error:
    Code:
    bash: /dev/sdb1/hda.img.gz: Not a directory
    Here's some information about my situation: I plugged in the DSL drive and booted into it, then I plugged in another flash drive, this one has Ubuntu installed on it (like a HDD, not a Live CD). This one is 16GB. When I do the fdisk command, it shows /dev/sda1 (the DSL drive), /dev/sdb1-3 (the partitions on the 16GB) and /dev/hda1 (the 4GB HDD). No where is anything called /mnt/, it's all /dev/

EDIT: If I go to the /mnt/ directory myself, it shows the partitions (except /dev/sdb3, Linux-swap) I tried the command again, using /mnt even though that's not what it showed, and it said
    Code:
    gzip: Write Error
    EDIT2: I went to the /mnt/sdb1 directory in emelFM afterwards. All the partitions were showing up blank before, but now in /sdb1 there is a file "hds.img.gz" but it's only 2.28 Mbytes, and the drive I am cloning has nearly 3GB worth of data
    Last edited by quadrplax; April 22nd, 2014 at 10:32 PM.

Beans

You can't write to /dev/sdb1/ as it's not a folder. You need to mount /dev/sdb1 and then write the image file to a folder (under the mount point) in the mounted partition.

Beans
    Hidden!

Notice the difference between

/dev/sdb1/hda.img.gz

and the path to the target file in posts #15 and #16

/mnt/sda1/hda.img.gz

So mount /dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sda1

I added two command in post #16 (making the directory /mnt/sda1 and the mounting command).

Please try again

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast