Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does RemasterSys work with Ubuntu 14.04?

Beans

Does RemasterSys work with Ubuntu 14.04?

I know the original developer of RemasterSys no longer works on this program, but it was fantastic and it worked in Ubuntu 12.04 which I still use.

I was looking to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 and was wondering if anyone might have tried a beta version of this OS and could confirm if RemasterSys still works? Long shot but just thought I would ask.

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Does RemasterSys work with Ubuntu 14.04?

You find alternatives including forks if you browse the internet. Maybe it is too early to find something that works with 14.04.

How do you intend to use it? I mean what kind of re-spin are you intending to make?

-o-

Maybe you can co-operate with phillw. See

Please help us test Lubuntu with Phill's non-pae kernel

Beans

Thanks sudodus.

I kind of figured it might be a bit to early but just through I would check. I will probably just install 14.04 and remastersys this weekend and test it out.

In terms of how I use it, it was to make a liveCD of my build so that I could share it.

Beans
    Hidden!

A simpler alternative might be to use the One Button Installer, 'OBI'

You can make your system clean, or even better, make an OEM installation, and create a tarball from it (a compressed tar archive file). This tarball can be used to install the system into other computers. It is possble to make single boot as well as dual- or multiboot final systems. But the system in the tarball should have only one root partition (and one swap partition).

The OBI is made to work from USB install drives, not CD or DVD. I don't know how important it is for you (and your friends or clients) to be able to boot from CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Vannyi View Post
    I know the original developer of RemasterSys no longer works on this program, but it was fantastic and it worked in Ubuntu 12.04 which I still use.

I was looking to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 and was wondering if anyone might have tried a beta version of this OS and could confirm if RemasterSys still works? Long shot but just thought I would ask.

Thank you
    I have installed 14.04 and also added Gnome-shell.

I was also curious to see if Remastersys would function with 14.04.

I had a copy of the Remastersys deb file, installed it via the Software centre and ran Remastersys from the terminal.

The iso created itself successfully and I installed onto a USB stick with Start Up Disk Creator.

The USB device booted perfectly so I installed my Remastered Image on an external drive.

The external drive booted OK and Unity and Gnome-shell look pretty good so far.

I am answering your post from the remastered image.

It would take hours to check every little detail of this Remastered image, but so far so good.............

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    I have installed 14.04 and also added Gnome-shell.

I was also curious to see if Remastersys would function with 14.04.

I had a copy of the Remastersys deb file, installed it via the Software centre and ran Remastersys from the terminal.

The iso created itself successfully and I installed onto a USB stick with Start Up Disk Creator.

The USB device booted perfectly so I installed my Remastered Image on an external drive.

The external drive booted OK and Unity and Gnome-shell look pretty good so far.

I am answering your post from the remastered image.

It would take hours to check every little detail of this Remastered image, but so far so good.............
    I have also used remastersys version 3.0.4-2 to successfully create a distro backup of my installed Ubuntu 14.04 64bit system. I installed all the programs I wanted, ran update, then bleachbit to clean up. Remastersys version 3.0.4-2 created the iso, I used Ubuntu's startup disk creator to make a bootable USB drive and I booted that iso and installed the system on another computer to test. Everything worked perfectly and I currently run the installed system day-to-day and have not experienced any problems. I guess Ubuntu 14.04 did not change enough to prevent remastersys 3.0.4-2 from working eventhough it was released for Ubuntu almost two years ago.

Beans

Verified By me.... It Worked With Remastersys... Not Matter How You Use it.... Here's the Proof

Ubuntu 14.04 ReMastered & Reloaded by Linear

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlackatHacker View Post
    Verified By me.... It Worked With Remastersys... Not Matter How You Use it.... Here's the Proof

Ubuntu 14.04 ReMastered & Reloaded by Linear
    Cool I've been planning on creating my own respin using Flashback w/Metacity combined with some basic system recovery tools

Beans

"I have also used remastersys version 3.0.4-2 to successfully create a distro backup of my installed Ubuntu 14.04 64bit system."
    Where and how did you install it?
    Running Lubuntu 14.04.1, not in Ubuntu Soft Center

Thanks

Beans

Here is my experience remastering Lubuntu 14.04 using remastersys.
    1. I got remastersys package from http://www.remastersys.com/downloads....0.3-1_all.deb
    2. To install it, here is the command
    dpkg -i remastersys_3.0.3-1_all.deb; sudo apt-get install -f
    3. Edit file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, and write down this code
    #session=lubuntu
    And remasterys just work fine. I use it to customize Lubuntu for local goverment, Kabupaten Banjarnegara, Central Java, Indonesia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast