Thread: Ubuntu should have a new default shell in the terminal emulator, possibly fish

Beans

Ubuntu should have a new default shell in the terminal emulator, possibly fish

I know that replacing the default shell (at least unless it was a superset of bash, which fish ain't esepecially in the scripting, being sensible instead) for a user is a dangerous idea, but I don't really see why the default shell in terminal emulator in stock ubuntu shouldn't be something more user friendly and capable.

Thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu should have a new default shell in the terminal emulator, possibly fish

The whole idea of Ubuntu is that you don't need to use the shell......
    ....unless you want to, in which case you can use fish ....
    .... and that countless bazillions of solutions, tips, scripts etc etc people find on the internet are for bash and although some stuff would work with fish some wouldn't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu should have a new default shell in the terminal emulator, possibly fish

What don't you like about Byobu?

http://byobu.co/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Byobu

I do not see why changing the terminal is dangerous for a user to do. Using a terminal is what is dangerous!

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Reason changing the terminal is potentially dangerous is shell scripts breaking, or at least ones aliased (is that the word? I'm referring to target after the shebang) to sh rather than bash.

I might be speaking out of my anus, it is just something I have assumed, I am no sysadmin!

I do run fish as my default terminal in gnome-terminal, I see no issues with that...