Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Petition: Mozilla & Canonical fix HTML5 video NOW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Petition: Mozilla & Canonical fix HTML5 video NOW

UPDATE: this situation can only be resolved if canonical and mozilla put some effort into finding a solution for it... I ask everyone to mail and nag mozilla and canonical until they act.

Fact: Unlike their windows/android versions (which ship with built in h.264 support), the linux version of firefox relies upon gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg's ability to decode h.264 videos (~95% of all html5 videos).

As it stands, gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is no longer available in ubuntu14.04/debian7.

Gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg's instalation is still possible, yes... but it does force the user to either compile from source or add external ppa's. It also requires the user to resolve several technical issues like dependency problems/etc.

We hereby request Mozilla to add, once and for all, native h.264 support to the linux version of Firefox (like they have done for their windows/android/osx versions) and not depend in external packages for h.264 decoding.

OR in extremis

Canonical must make the FFmpeg 2.1.3 package easily available in ubuntu's software center and Mozilla needs to update firefox's gstreamer support to work with this current version.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs, when one can enjoy flash-free html5 video viewing in windows but not on linux systems.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...bug=729203#410

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

EDITED: original post

I have tried installing through the software center and apt getting in the terminal

"There isn’t a software package called “gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg” in your current software sources."

Package gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source

E: Package 'gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg' has no installation candidate

I have both universe and multiverse enabled.

Without gstreamer I can't get youtube videos to play above 360p

edited to add this: when installing vlc 2.1.2-2build1 it creates no icons or shows up in right click context menus, you can only launch it from the terminal.
    Last edited by nomenkultur; March 10th, 2014 at 11:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Gstreamer missing from 14.04

It isn't available anymore for 0.10 it seems and its replacement in 1.0 if I'm not mistaken is gstreamer1.0-libav.

So if you were planning to use it in a script you could just use gst 1.0 instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by nomenkultur View Post
    Without gstreamer I can't get youtube videos to play above 360p
    Adobe flash plugin does not depend on gst. Do you use some other software to play youtube videos?

Beans
    Distro

I don't use flash.

In order to play html5 hd videos on firefox you must have gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

I can't seem to find gstreamer1.0-ffmpeg or gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

kind of worried, does this mean tere's no h.264 support in ubuntu? what if I pay for that specific codec is there a way?

edit: my gfx chip has paid for the right to use h.264 codecs, this is really a scumbag move by mozilla/google to ship h.264 codecs in firefox/chromium windows and not ship them in linux versions

f... typical
    Last edited by nomenkultur; February 26th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.

Beans

I would think the best solution would be for FF to support gst-1.x
    Did a little fool around & did get html5 support in FF in 14.04 but I have to wonder if there is a good reason why Ubuntu has chosen not to provide the 0.10 plugin??

Either -
    the plugin can't work with current libav
    or it can but there is some security flaw with the 0.10 plugin
    Out of curiosity, did you try using saucy's 0.10-ffmpeg plugin? (I didn't, went another direction with the plugin using internal supplied libav
    If the reason is that it can't work with current libav libs then I'll provide a link to 0.10 ffmpeg package for trusty if desired, have in a ppa
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; February 27th, 2014 at 03:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Mcman I have no idea if FFox 30 does or does not support gstreamer ffmpeg 1.0 as I don't have access to it (ffmpeg, I have ffox30)...
    I believe it does as in about:config they have the flag for gstreamer.

All I know for sure is that gstreamer-libav is useless as neither FFOX or chromium accept it to decode html5 hd videos. Why this pos even exists is beyond me (probably from the mind that brought you iceweasels).

debian decided to use libav instead of gst-ffmpeg and it's a horrible mess, I was not affected by this in 12.04 or 13.04 but I am now...

Hopefully someone can get Gstreamer 1.0 ffmpeg to ubuntu quickly as it's ridiculous that one can only remain flash free on windows and not ubuntu.

even debian is backtracking and apparently they are going to use ffmpeg again, here's a file I found hope someone manages to make it work on ubuntu:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?msg=410;filename=ffmpeg_2.1.3-1.debian.tar.xz;att=1;bug=729203
    Last edited by nomenkultur; February 27th, 2014 at 11:44 AM.

Beans

This has nothing to do with libav vs fffmpeg. As I mentioned the most likely reason the plugin isn't provided is it isn't compatible with current libav shared lib in 14.04
    Even though the plugin is named 'ffmpeg' in saucy it uses libav, not ffmpeg, that is & was the choice of Gstreamer, not Debian or Ubuntu

So in that case the only way to provide the 0.10 plugin would be to use the gstreamer provided libav in the plugin's soure, something that Debian/Ubuntu don't do.
    (they use the system libs, & likely would be unwilling to change that policy, you could try a bug report & see what shakes out.

Here for the gstreamer1.0-libav plugin I'm currently using a libav embedded build for various unrelated reasons, atm it's also slightly superior to the Ubuntu repo version though if Ubuntu goes to the next libav version this cycle then it wouldn't be. (the reason I built it wasn't for the bug fixes it contains, something else of no importance in this thread.

In any event if you wish to try a 0.10 'ffmpeg' gstreamer plugin for 14.04 it's here for a little while, this ppa isn't permanent. If I think it's good & without issue will move to a more permanent ppa at some point (the ppa also has the gstreamer1.0-libav plugin with libav embedded.

https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archive/testing
    Changes to the source are available here, done to allow building -
    https://launchpad.net/~mc3man/+archi...rusty2.diff.gz

As you can see in screen it has no dependency to system libav libraries
    In short tests here it works fine in YT once FF is set up for html5, personally see no advantage to html5 over flash but that doesn't really matter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Firefox gst1.0 support is (finally) coming.
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=806917

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

You can install the saucy version from http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
    It works fine for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin77 View Post
    You can install the saucy version from http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
    It works fine for me.
    I had asked the Op to check that, I guess he didn't...
    If in fact the saucy package works in 14.04 then there is no issue with compat on the libav shared libs. In that case any concerned user should file a bug on why no trusty build
    As far as the current nightly ppa FF 30 it still doesn't appear to support gst-1.x, possibly that is coming shortly??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast