Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimizer Pro

Beans

Optimizer Pro

Okay so I choose to run 14.04 as my main os and I new there would be a few bugs but this isn't with ubuntu I installed a package from "CNET" and it gave me some thing called "Optimizer Pro" I tried to uninstall it and I got a red sign at the top of my bar I just ignored it then I rebooted and had a ton of error reports coming I have a few screenshots if you would like to see it I cant get one of optimizer though Screenshot: http://imgur.com/JEvtxHK

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Bug?

You have tried to install a "windows" program that is not compatible with Linux.
    It is not a "bug" with Ubuntu but is something you have done that you should not.
    What is your system, dual boot with windows?
    If not, how long have you had Ubuntu 14.04 installed?

Beans

Re: Bug?

Quote Originally Posted by gifford View Post
    You have tried to install a "windows" program that is not compatible with Linux.
    It is not a "bug" with Ubuntu but is something you have done that you should not.
    What is your system, dual boot with windows?
    If not, how long have you had Ubuntu 14.04 installed?
    About a week now I don't duel boot I deleted windows and I just want to know how to remove optimizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Optimizer Pro

Without more information I would not know where to start. If it were me and this is a new installation, I would reinstall 14.04 and start over.
    A good rule of thumb is to only install software using the Ubuntu software center or synaptic package manager. It will prevent you from
    making mistakes like you did.
    Also, check with the user forum if you have any doubts before attempting to do something that could harm your system.
    You cannot install windows program in Ubuntu...Linux is not windows.

Beans

I know I only installed it because it came with cnet -.- isnt there a add and remove software thing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is but it is for Ubuntu Linux apps...not windows. I do not know how badly your system is damaged.
    Also, for future reference you should post in the general help forum or absolute beginners section. You will get more responses with better advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

And remember...never try to install an .exe file (windows file) ubuntu linux uses what is known as debian files...actually called deb files for short...
    So, as your preference, try to use ubuntu software center to install programs whenever possible and if you are installing from a web site it must be a program that works with linux and that they provide a deb file for...

Normally, those "outside" deb files can be installed by Ubuntu Software Center but there is a current bug that may prevent one from doing that...if that is the case, then you can install a program called gdebi from the Software Center which will be able to install any deb file..I'm sure that bug should get corrected soon...

As they mentioned, if you had somehow got this .exe windows file to install, no doubt it probably messed things up in your system, so best bet is to just do a nice clean install of 14.04 and that will take care of it...now, you know better for the future
    Last edited by craig10x; April 11th, 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Beans

Is it possible this software was installed in WINE? If so, there's no need to reinstall ubuntu, just delete your ~/.wine folder. If you use any other software in WINE you'll need to reinstall it, of course.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Is it possible this software was installed in WINE? If so, there's no need to reinstall ubuntu, just delete your ~/.wine folder. If you use any other software in WINE you'll need to reinstall it, of course.
    Thanks so much you actually helped me unlike anyone else! how do I delete it though?

Beans

The red thing is just a notification. It doesn't have to be errors, it could be something trivial like reminding you to update. What happens when you click on it?

If that has been installed through wine all your need is to delete the hidden file .wine and all launcher files in .local/share/applications/wine

Edited: Not sure what you downloaded from cnet, this is apparently a 'registry cleaner' which in some ways behaves like a malware. http://malwaretips.com/blogs/pc-optimizer-pro-virus/
    Of course the 'how to remove' guide from the link doesn't apply. Just delete the hidden folder .wine in your home and you are good.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 11th, 2014 at 10:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast