Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please help us test Lubuntu with Phill's non-pae kernel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Please help us test Lubuntu with Phill's non-pae kernel

As has not been made clear, I've never respun a kernel let alone an ISO!!! .. I know the kernel is okay as it is running on the build machine (having the kernel actually running makes the build less complicated), as I'm basing things on daily builds I will go and pull in the Beta 2 and do a build with that. It will be a few hours, but should be available in a couple of hours. I can then test it in VM to see if the 'cannot mount CD' error is still there.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

There is a load of updates running in today (including a beta of grub). I'm going to try a build with this daily and check on VM before I ask for further testing.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro

The ISO has been re-spun.... Now the issue is that, of course, the installer expects to see a PAE flag and complains that it cannot find it. GRRRRR....... Still, at least it now installs! I hope to have the answer as to tell the installer NOT to look for PAE flag today / tomorrow.

Regards,

Phill.

Beans

Since the beta version came out I could not get lubuntu14.04 to install at all. I never even got into any menu but install without even choosing install. I see the same screen jerrylamos sees. Doesn't matter if I try non-pae or not. I have all other ubuntu flavors installed with no issues. Makes me think it may not be a non-pae issue. I will follow this thread.

Beans
    Hidden!

This is the debian installer or old alternate installer, not Ubuntu's standard desktop installer. I am installing from it right now, near the very end of the process. So the installation works much better with this version.

More details later ...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Since the beta version came out I could not get lubuntu14.04 to install at all. I never even got into any menu but install without even choosing install. I see the same screen jerrylamos sees. Doesn't matter if I try non-pae or not. I have all other ubuntu flavors installed with no issues. Makes me think it may not be a non-pae issue. I will follow this thread.

I'm installing the standard alternate installed, another tester has got it installed along with the non-pae version (provided we show the installer a pae flag). I need to have a kernel type person help with the question as to how to alter the kernel/i386.sh file and then build from it.

the guys have been stars, and I have asked Joe what needs to be altered whilst trying a rebuild..

I've done a bit more digging and got as far as:

(17:37:08) phillw: hi good people... very quick question.. which script checks for the presence of PAE flag in the alternate (server) installer ISO system. I need to disable it as I have a non-pae kernel
    (17:41:42) cjwatson: kernel/i386.sh in the base-installer source package
    (17:42:17) cjwatson: I suggest you make your change by way of the test suite ("make test")
    (17:43:04) cjwatson: You'll probably want to change arch_check_usable_kernel for the case where the computed kernel flavour name is "486"
    (17:45:13) phillw: Hi Colin, I have the ISO mounted at non-pae (done the replacement of the kernel and rebuilt the md5 sums etc) I'm using make menuconfig can I change the processor type in there also (I use it to drop the High Memory support from 64Gb to 4 GB)
    (17:45:22) cjwatson: No idea
    (17:46:01) cjwatson: Not a kernel hacker

So, as I know what the issue is - it is fixable

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Hidden!

The installation into my Thinkpad with Pentium M was successful

(The CPU lacks pae flag but it does have pae capability)

I needed the boot option forcepae to make the installer happy, and I had to wait through a 10-15 minutes long 'silence', when I thought the installation was dead ... but after that it worked as it should.

Checking the disk for integrity works until isolinux/isolinux.bin which failed the md5sum check. But 1. isolinux/isolinux.bin is maybe outside where checksums are regenerated automatically 2. This file is only used during the boot operation, so if the installation proceeds, it might still produce a good installed system, even if the file is bad.

Code:
    tester@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
    Linux ubuntu 3.13.0-24-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 10 19:08:14 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    tester@ubuntu:~$ setxkbmap se
    tester@ubuntu:~$ grep --color pae /proc/cpuinfo
    tester@ubuntu:~$ grep --color sse /proc/cpuinfo
    flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe bts est tm2
    tester@ubuntu:~$ lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    Release:    14.04
    Codename:    trusty
    tester@ubuntu:~$

Beans
    Distro

Kernel has been rebuilt... needs a test ... http://phillw.net/isos/non-pae/

Regards,

Phill.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just burned for a try. Is there no "try it live" option? Looks like only a full Install for testing. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to run an install on my old Toshiba Satellite A25 just yet. Thx.
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4; AMD X2 5600+; 4GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR2 800; Seagate 250GB 7200.10 (SATA);
    ASUS DVD-E616A3T (SATA); Samsung SH-S182M (PATA); EVGA GT 220 (all work ootb)

Beans
    Hidden!

No, this is 'only' the alternate installer without live session. Furthermore, we are waiting for the next rebuild, because there was problems, with the version announced in post #18. I can't tell when it will arrive. Right now many of us are busy testing the official 'final' version of 14.04 LTS.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast