Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

No sound from HDMI Nvidia laptop

Hello.

Running 14.04 beta with all updates available

Lspci gives:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK107M [GeForce GT 650M] (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 (rev c4)
    04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
    jkj@JKJ-Laptop:~$
    But Aplay -l gives:
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC663 Analog [ALC663 Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC663 Digital [ALC663 Digital]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have a tv connected to the hdmi and picture is showing, but i can't find any hdmi options for sound.
    It's not found when running alsamixer either. only got one soundcard showing there: HDA Intel PCH.

Any ideas on how to get sound out through HDMI, have googled this for a week now without any luck.

Beans

Re: No sound from HDMI Nvidia laptop

You have a "hybrid" machine with both Intel and NVIDIA graphics. Are you sure the NVIDIA adapter is in use? It looks like just the Intel adapter is working. Take a look at the the Bumblebee Project which is designed to facilitate hybrid machines with NVIDIA adapters. You might also be able to disable the Intel chip in the BIOS and use only the NVIDIA adapter.

Also you should install the proprietary NVIDIA driver using the "Additional Drivers" application in Ubuntu if you have not done so already. The proprietary driver is likely to provide better HDMI support.

I also suggest installing a copy of pavucontrol. I've found it the most convenient way to manage the multiple audio outputs on my machine.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well if the intel adapter is working, why do i get video through hdmi, but not sound.

The poprietary driver is in use, but i've not tried the bumblebee driver.

Pavucontrol got no listing of hdmi either.

I have no option in bios to disable the intel chip :/

The laptop is btw a Asus N76v

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Tried to install bumblebee, ended up without video through hdmi aswell, the system did not find the external monitor. purged bumblebee after and is now as far as 1 post :/

Beans

Can you disable the Intel chip in the BIOS and force the machine to use the NVIDIA adapter?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Could be a pulseaudio problem. Pulse does a miserable job of detecting active HDMI audio channels.

Fortunately, you can manually add additional audio channels to your pulse audio files.

In the file /etc/pulse/default.pa, add the bolded line:

Code:
    ### Load audio drivers statically
    ### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
    ### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
    #load-module module-alsa-sink
    #load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
    #load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
    #load-module module-null-sink
    #load-module module-pipe-sink
    load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7
    The numbers 1 and 7 refer to you card number and the device number. This guide shows you how to find which number combination works on your system.

Once you find the right numbers and add the line to the default.pa file, you should be able to select the added audio channel in system settings (I dont use Unity so really cant help further...sorry.)
    Last edited by whatthefunk; April 11th, 2014 at 12:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

SeijiSensei: No, i can't disable the intel chip in bios.

whatthefunk: If you look at the guide you showed an the listing in my first post, you can see that i have no option called HDMI.

I seem to get stuck on the same place in every guide out there.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Karl Johansen View Post
    SeijiSensei: No, i can't disable the intel chip in bios.

whatthefunk: If you look at the guide you showed an the listing in my first post, you can see that i have no option called HDMI.

I seem to get stuck on the same place in every guide out there.
    Just to clarify are you using the legacy driver Nvidia-304.?
    Sorry I just found your specs.
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 650M with 2GB/4GB DDR3 VRAM
    Last edited by QDR06VV9; April 11th, 2014 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I\m using nvidia-331

Edit: 304 does not get past login witout bumblebee, with bumblebee I do not find the TV at all, no video no audio.
    Last edited by Johan Karl Johansen; April 11th, 2014 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

bump

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast