Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Canonical: where's the 14.04 hype?

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    newer programs, new kernel with plenty of new features, new and much improved opensource AMD drivers... DE also get upgraded with features, performance improvements etc. well actually you can get most of this stuff via PPA but then it would be a lot of PPA.
    I, for one, am really happy with the AMD drivers. Always had to use nomodeset kernel arg for my Radeon6480 card.

Running 14.04 from February, I never had to do that.
    First time, since 12.04 that I didn't have to use nomodeset. Horray to that.
    Also, the Radeon DPM, really gives very nice battery life.

Very nice and polished release it seems, and have been very stable. At least from Feb 1st week here.
    I am using Ubuntu Studio development release BTW, with KDE/FVWM added on top of it.

Canonical IS, is really getting more attention anyways, and are more focused on mobile platform development, from what I've gathered.
    That's fine. It is a company and it has it's goals and milestones to achieve.

As for the hype part, many websites I have seen have listed it as a substitute to WinXP.
    But really, that shouldn't be the case.
    Ubuntu w/Unity is pretty heavy for machines that used to run WinXP.

Looking at the forums over the past month there have been many threads where this has been brought to light too.

P.S.: Great work by Ubuntu Studio team, like the Wallpaper by MadeInKobaia !
    Last edited by su:bhatta; April 16th, 2014 at 12:38 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

True Ubuntu with unity is not a good fit if you are running XP on a computer that's old enough for that XP was a new OS. Xubuntu however should be fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfbays View Post
    I remember when there was a countdown to the latest Ubuntu release. I miss the excitement of those days. (I also miss the brown theme.) Times change, I suppose...
    Same here, though darned if i recall when we last had one ...12.04?

Beans

Well, it's release day. They still have 13.10 linked on the main page. Something about 14.04 and "the cloud". Huh. Just a commentary, not complaining. Times have changed.

Beans
    Hidden!

There was a time that all Canonical had was Ubuntu for servers / desktops and it was their number one focus. I am sure there is still a lot of focus on servers but very little care for the desktop now IMO...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's disappointing for sure. I remember when Ubuntu was featured front and center on ubuntu.com.

These days (and it's been this way for a few years now) you have to basically know what you're looking for and click through to find information on Ubuntu. There's almost nothing on the home page that the average joe desktop user is going to care about. Oh, you have something for cell phones/tablets/TV!!! That's great! Oh but I can't get it anywhere. Openstack? What the heck is that? You get the idea.

I too remember when there was a big shiny countdown to the next release featured prominently on ubuntu.com. Ubuntu, the DESKTOP operating system, is what made Canonical relatively well known. They would do well to remember that, I think, for they could easily be supplanted as the number one Linux desktop.

[edit]
    By the way, I'm not so naive that I don't understand why Canonical is making a shift toward focusing more on OEMs and enterprise clients. I'm sure it makes great business sense, but the idealist in me doesn't like it. That's all.

It seems to be the way of things in the Linux world for as long as I've been a part of it. Heck, I remember when you could walk into Walmart and buy Red Hat Linux for your home computer. Red Hat shifted away from home users to focus on enterprise clients and I'm sure it was for the same reason as Canonical. Enterprise and OEMs are where the money is.
    Last edited by jeremy1138; April 17th, 2014 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling
    Registered Linux User # 451883 - Registered Ubuntu User # 16711

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's still morning here and I remember past new releases not being not being posted until later in the day . I do remember the countdown widget competition and I found a phone app ala 2011.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Hype requires money. The type of hype that Apple, Samsung and virtually all major companies attempt to produce before product release costs millions and millions of dollars. Canonical is already struggling to make a profit so I dont know where that kind of money would come from. Maybe you can lend them some?

Is there anything in 14.04 to be hyped about? To me, it seems like its shooting for stability and tweaks in Unity. I think it would be a challenge for any company to get Apple level hype about window resizing ability and locally integrated menus...
    Apple and others need to spend money because they are the only ones in control of it. Ubuntu, in times past, might hype things up some themselves but the community too was much more active!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfbays View Post
    I remember when there was a countdown to the latest Ubuntu release. I miss the excitement of those days. (I also miss the brown theme.) Times change, I suppose...
    Yes! Finally somebody else who misses the brown them! I am not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    Have to admit, I'm kinda hesitant to move on from 12.04 to 14.04 right away. Maybe I'll wait for a month or two.
    No harm in giving time to let the initial bugs get worked through and detected, not to mention to plan a smooth migration. Gives you time to prepare your hard drive, back things up and to test the 14.04 via Live USB to make sure everything works before "pulling the trigger". Dont' foget to keep contingency plans in case the upgrade goes horribly wrong!

I'm in a similar boat. I'm excited to try 14.04 out but am not going to jump the shark on upgrading until I make sure I have my backup plan established.

I'm also looking at getting a larger hard drive, making it dual-boot with Windows and will probably clone the existing (12.04) onto it and run the upgrade so I have the old hard drive to fall back on if it doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Hill View Post
    True Ubuntu with unity is not a good fit if you are running XP on a computer that's old enough for that XP was a new OS. Xubuntu however should be fine.
    My IBM Thinkpad laptop cannot even handle Xubuntu. It isn't the desktop environment that is the issue, it is the kernel (PAE issue). So I have had to migrate those to other Linux distros but the family desktop is still running Ubuntu.

I just have to be careful upgrading, since the desktop is the family's primary computer system. When the kids do things on the computer, other than playing a couple of games, they prefer and choose to use Ubuntu even though it would be just as easy for them to use the Windows box connected to the KVM switch.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I really hate to say it, but I'm starting to think their lack of commitment to pushing their desktop OS is making them less of a viable option for the desktop market. If you're going to release a new version, then promote it, darn it, especially if it's an LTS. Otherwise, I'm going to think you don't care anymore, and I'm going to go with someone who does.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I really hate to say it, but I'm starting to think their lack of commitment to pushing their desktop OS is making them less of a viable option for the desktop market. If you're going to release a new version, then promote it, darn it, especially if it's an LTS. Otherwise, I'm going to think you don't care anymore, and I'm going to go with someone who does.
    I am starting to understand why Fedora is saying "Linux isn't sexy anymore" as part of the reason for them to re-invent themselves (Fedora.next). Their thinking looks promising.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast