Thread: machine not seen on network

Beans

machine not seen on network

I have three machines, one rynning win8, one running win7 with vm of 12.4 ubu running, and one machine running ubuntu12.4. Ubuntu sees the other machines and connects to them no problems. However it does not see itself on the network and neither do the other machines inclubing the vm. I even imported smb.conf from working vm to replace the copy on the ubuntu machine but it changed nothing Any ideas on why it does not show up on the network. I'm not talking about shares but the machine itself being invisable on the network. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: machine not seen on network

Welcome to the forums!

Do you have a firewall running on the computer?

Since you copied over the smb.conf I don't think its a matter of WORKGROUPS not being setup properly. Double check the setup of the workgroups and make sure they match on all machines.

Code:
    [global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

# Change this to the workgroup/NT-domain name your Samba server will part of  
     workgroup = WORKGROUP
    Also, you must restart the samba service if you make changes to smb.conf

Code:
    sudo service smbd restart
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans

Thanks for the response. The workgroup matches on all machines. Ive also retarted smbd a number of times.Still not working

Beans

What dns server are you using? if it is your router, log into your router and make sure your ubuntu machine is shown in the dhcp address. from the ubuntu machine can you ping the name of your ubuntu machine? i.e. ping my-ubuntu
    does it respond with the same ip that is in ifconfig?

Beans

pinging the machine name works on all machines but it still is not showing in any of the network veiws. Yes I'm using the router dns