Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy flaw

Beans

What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy flaw

I just belatedly found out about the heartbeat openssl bug (http://heartbleed.com).

Affected versions: OpenSSL versions from 1.0.1 to 1.0.1f.
    The vulnerability has been fixed in OpenSSL 1.0.1g.

$ uname -a
    Linux desktop 3.11.0-14-generic #21-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 12 17:04:55 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ openssl
    OpenSSL> version
    OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013

$ sudo apt-get remove openssl
    $ sudo apt-get install openssl

$ openssl
    OpenSSL> version
    OpenSSL 1.0.1e 11 Feb 2013

Drat.

QUESTION:
    As a user, who is decidedly not a security expert, what do the security experts suggest we users immediately do about this vulnerability?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy

Run this:

Code:
    openssl version -a
    It should say build date: April 7 or April 8 if you have the patched version.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Re: What should we users do immediately about the heartbleed heartbeet openssl saucy

Set "Check for certificate revocation" on in all browsers. Even after servers have installed the 1.0.1g fix, they then need to revoke their current certificate and issue a new one.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mainmeister View Post
    Set "Check for certificate revocation" on in all browsers. Even after servers have installed the 1.0.1g fix, they then need to revoke their current certificate and issue a new one.
    The latest version of Firefox should be set to automatically check ssl certs for validity.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Reads exactly like a tabloid.

Beans

mmm ..... sometimes wonder about the reasoning ........ but as long as its fixed .......

and we all know our systems are uptodate .....

I upgrade to OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014

from what I have read so far this is a check to do

Finding what version you have ..... cheers Charles A

openssl version -a

Downloads$ openssl version -a
    OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
    built on: Fri Jan 10 12:40:28 UTC 2014
    platform: debian-amd64
    options: bn(64,64) rc4(16x,int) des(idx,cisc,16,int) blowfish(idx)
    compiler: cc -fPIC -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -m64 -DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIO -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro -Wa,--noexecstack -Wall -DMD32_REG_T=int -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT5 -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DAES_ASM -DVPAES_ASM -DBSAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM -DGHASH_ASM
    OPENSSLDIR: "/usr/lib/ssl"

From what I am reading in the latest report - the older ones were more secure ......... can someone clarify if we are better
    off with older systems ........ or upgraded ones ........ as its not clear in this thread ...... !!!

Fixed in OpenSSL 1.0.1g (Affected 1.0.1f, 1.0.1e, 1.0.1d, 1.0.1c, 1.0.1b, 1.0.1a, 1.0.1)

Time to log off and go back to a older install again ..... until the repos have something I can use thats safe

http://www.openssl.org/news/vulnerabilities.html
    Last edited by 23dornot23d; April 9th, 2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: removed the last lines as it seems its old news ....... odd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@ 23dornot23d; Don't know ?

I ran :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    and a updated openssl was available, I did "upgrade" and ->
    Code:
    sysop@1310mini:~$ openssl version -a
    built on: Mon Apr  7 20:33:19 UTC 2014
    Your result is not the same ?
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Cheers for doing that check ..... maybe its something to do with the download server I use then
    I pointed it to UK ..... and maybe there lies the problem .......

Will change servers and see if it changes things - thank you for doing that ......
    as I checked again before posting in Synaptic and reloaded the same result came up saying I was
    uptodate ......

Will get back to you later - as I swapped into a different OS for the time being ...... have many to choose from
    so at least I can jump around a bit ...... confuses me at times - so might confuse anyone trying to get into my
    system .... not that it makes a lot of difference here ..... have nothing of real value - so long as they do not
    get in and trash anything ........ even then - so many systems now it probably would not disrupt me too much.

Ok back to doing things again to relax ...

Will let you know later on when I go back in if it will upgrade ok .....

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

k
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It could be the mirror didn't have the latest version, but unlikely. When you do boot into Ubuntu, run updates again and it should give you the newest version.

As it stands now, that update is more geared toward servers and people using imaps/pop3s/https/openvpn than desktop users, but it's still a good thing to have updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast