Thread: Skullcandy 50/50 Drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Skullcandy 50/50 Drivers

Hello all,

I have a pair of headphones (Skullcandy 50/50) that has a volume controller and microphone built into the left earbud wire. On OSX and iOS these controls work phenomenally, however they do not work on Windows nor Linux out of the box. The website states that they are iOS compatible and I knew that when I got them, however I was unaware they do not work on Windows. Being that OSX is typically very Linux friendly on drivers, does anyone know if there is a way to get these to work? Or is it a hardware incompatibility? My machine specs are in my signiture, and here is a link to the earbuds: http://www.skullcandy.com/shop/50-50-white-black

All the best,

cbennett
    Last edited by cbennett926; April 7th, 2014 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Added specific model of headphones
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Skullcandy 50/50 Drivers

Drivers (modules in Linux-speak) are compiled into every Linux kernel. If the required module for Skullcandy 50/50 isn't there, then you're pretty much out of luck unless you can obtain software for the device and introduce it into the kernel yourself. You should always check compatibility lists before buying hardware for a Linux system. Regards.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Your headphones seem to only have the one combined headphone/microphone plug (as is used on iOS devices)? In that case it's not a question of driver compatibility (such thing would only make sense with something like USB headset) but simply that your computer's headphone socket really is just a headphone socket, not a headphone/microphone one.

You can get an adapter to split the headphone/microphone plug into two separate plugs for a few dollars from Amazon.com. That should at least get the microphone working. Volume control depends if your headphones have built-in volume control or if the buttons simply work as a remote to change the volume on the computer( or iOS device) itself.

(edit: since the volume controller is only on the left headphone wire it probably is just a remote instead of built-in volume control. In that case I have no idea if there's any way to make the volume control work. Getting the adapter cable wills till work for the microphone of course)
    Last edited by mcduck; April 7th, 2014 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Your headphones seem to only have the one combined headphone/microphone plug (as is used on iOS devices)? In that case it's not a question of driver compatibility (such thing would only make sense with something like USB headset) but simply that your computer's headphone socket really is just a headphone socket, not a headphone/microphone one.

You can get an adapter to split the headphone/microphone plug into two separate plugs for a few dollars from Amazon.com. That should at least get the microphone working. Volume control depends if your headphones have built-in volume control or if the buttons simply work as a remote to change the volume on the computer( or iOS device) itself.

(edit: since the volume controller is only on the left headphone wire it probably is just a remote instead of built-in volume control. In that case I have no idea if there's any way to make the volume control work. Getting the adapter cable wills till work for the microphone of course)

Ah fantastic news! Thank you sir! Markded as solved!
    System Specs: Processor:Intel® Core™ i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4 Graphics:nVidia Quadro 2000m RAM: 8 GB

Ubuntu User: 34379