Thread: Bizarre system failure

Beans

Bizarre system failure

Hi all,

I just experienced a very strange error on my Bonobo bonp5. Executive summary: the / filesystem apparently spontaneously unmounted while the system was running. Upon reboot, everything appears normal, but... I'm worried.

I had Unity running with a terminal, a GIMP session, and Chrome open in different workspaces. Suddenly, the launcher and all status icons disappeared, although I could still switch between workspaces and my apps continued to run with no apparent problems.

However, when I switched to the terminal and did "sudo service network-manager status" (because the first thing I consciously noticed was the absence of the network-manager status icon), I got:

Code:
      sudo: command not found
    Wait, what?

Code:
      which sudo
    No output.

Code:
      ls

ls: command not found
    WHAT?!?

Code:
      mount

mount: command not found
    Buh wuh huh how?

Code:
      cd /
      echo *
    Response:

Code:
    So... it appears my root filesystem is suddenly just GONE?

At this point I tried to save the image I had open in GIMP, and that apparently succeeded. (Upon reboot I re-opened the image, and it was in fact saved.) Then I thought long and hard about whether to reboot, or try to copy some important data off of machine before rebooting. Then I realized that it would probably not be possible to even mount an external disk, since /bin and /usr/bin were both apparently MIA, and if need be I could pull the internal disk and copy important stuff. So I took the plunge and powered off the machine. ("sync" and "shutdown -h" both resulted in "command not found" - I was hoping "sync" might be a bash internal, but apparently not.)

Luckily, the it rebooted successfully, and I'm using it now to post this message. But I have NEVER seen this kind of utterly weird behavior from a Linux machine before except in cases of incipient catastrophic hardware failure. The root filesystem is on a 120GB SSD, and all the important stuff is on a 750GB spinning disk.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks,

- Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Bizarre system failure

Boot into the Rescue Shell and examine /var/log/syslog for errors. Perhaps the SSD is defective. Or a cosmic ray took out a bit and caused the kernel to act strange.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Boot into the Rescue Shell and examine /var/log/syslog for errors. Perhaps the SSD is defective. Or a cosmic ray took out a bit and caused the kernel to act strange.
    Nothing in /var/log/syslog - it's a zero-length file. /var/log/syslog.1 latest entries are from the previous day.

I'm hoping the cosmic ray hypothesis is true. If anything like it happens again, I guess I'll replace the SSD.

Thanks,

JK

Beans

It happened again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

syslog still blank?
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Yes, nothing in syslog.

Completely different set of apps running this time, except for Chrome, which was running during both events. And possibly GIMP... I can't remember if I closed it earlier or not.

Once again, I had to reboot by power-cycling I took the precaution of doing a clean shutdown after rebooting. I'll boot to single-user mode in a minute and run fsck.

Beans

fsck found nothing amiss.

Nothing unusual-looking in dmesg.

Nothing in /var/log/syslog since April 5 (before the first incident).

I'm at a bit of a loss where to start investigating this. If it's an intermittent hardware failure that leaves no tracks... well that sucks