Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Update and dist-upgrade should be run as the first step after install. After that you can add more packages.

If you have a 100 GB harddisk why do you want to install only part of Libreoffice?

If you begin spreading the word (and please do) it might help you to read the link in my signature first.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice-writer
    I'm not familiar with the Impress package

Maintenance commands

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...nance_commands
    Thanks ibjsb4. I also found the links below which describe full and selective Libre Office installations using Terminal commands:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice#...e_installation

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice#Full_installation

Thanks,

R.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Update and dist-upgrade should be run as the first step after install. After that you can add more packages.

If you have a 100 GB harddisk why do you want to install only part of Libreoffice?

If you begin spreading the word (and please do) it might help you to read the link in my signature first.
    Thank you Morgaes (sorry no umlaut on my keyboard). Regarding not wanting to install the entire Libre Office, I guess I'd say that I had problems with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS because it is "too heavy" for my PC so I am trying to be frugal and only install what I need. Maybe, however, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS's "heaviness" comes from too many apps running at once, rather than apps being stored on the HD. My HD is 100 GB, about 50 GB alotted to Lubuntu, 50 GB alotted to WIndows XP. I will probably shrink down the Windows XP part, when I figure out how to do it, as I don't use Windows XP much. But in any case only about 50GB is available to Lubuntu right now.

I did start to read the links in your signature tonight. In fact I started reading them before tonight, because they were in your signature and seemed relevant. So I have learned that a person needs to be aware that older hardware may not really support the latest, fanciest version of Ubuntu like Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Unity. But Lubuntu (and others like Bohdi Linux) may be an option. Lubuntu seems to be working well for me right now.

Thank you again,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 10th, 2014 at 03:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The size of a package (or a collection of packages) does not indicate if it's heavy or not to run. Ubuntu is heavy because of the eye candy in Unity, the desktop environment.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I suggest you begin experimenting with various setups and watch the performance. Worst case scenario is that you will have to waste half an hour doing a reinstall.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    The size of a package (or a collection of packages) does not indicate if it's heavy or not to run. Ubuntu is heavy because of the eye candy in Unity, the desktop environment.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I suggest you begin experimenting with various setups and watch the performance. Worst case scenario is that you will have to waste half an hour doing a reinstall.
    Mörgaes,

Thanks to you (see umlaut above) and to everybody else including ibjsb4 and others,

I have installed the full Libre Office and Lubuntu seems to be working well for me and is fast. I will mark this thread as SOLVED.

A curiosity I noticed today: my Lubuntu calendar was off by a day and I could not change it. And the calendar in Windows XP was also off by a day in the same way. I was able to change the calendar in Windows XP to the correct day. And the calendar in Lubuntu was then correct after I changed the calendar in Windows XP.

Thanks again,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 10th, 2014 at 11:08 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234