Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS bugs

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    This is fairly weak (but still useable) hardware. I wouldn't recommend Ubuntu.
    A fresh install of X/Lubuntu 13.10 or 14.04 is a better option, also if your Ubuntu were working flawlessly.
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    +1
    Thank you Morgaes and ibjsb4. I actually tried Lubuntu a little bit. It is not as elaborate as Ubuntu, but is certainly useable. So I could definitely give it a try.

QUESTIONS: Is it still possible to use the Ubuntu One cloud back-up service (I already set up) with Lubuntu? (I know Ubunu One is being dscontinued in a few months.)

I am presently dual booting Windows XP and Ubuntu. Is a clean install of Lubuntu easy, will it leave my Windows XP installation intact?

(I still need the Windows XP for a while longer, but I do not use it for the internet. I know it will not be supported after tomorrow).

Is there any kind of Lubuntu manual? One thing I really like about Ubuntu is that "?" application that allows you to ask questions and learn to use Ubuntu. Is there anything I can use to replace this "?" app for Lubuntu?

Thanks again,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 8th, 2014 at 03:29 AM.

Beans

Burn a Live DVD 0f 13.10 and install just like you did ubuntu. Durning the install you will be given the option to overwrite the ubuntu install with lubuntu. Which will give you a dual boot xp/lubuntu set up.

http://lubuntu.net/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LubuntuLinks

I do not use UbuntuOne, someone else will have to answer that.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Lubuntu fits to a CD.
    From a live boot you can delete the old Ubuntu partitions. After that it all works automatically.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

OK, thanks to everybody. I downloaded Lubuntu 13.10 via torrent today, checked the MD5Sum and the SHA256 Sum, and installed it in place of Ubuntu 12.04LTS. If I stop having the bugs reported in the original post, I'll mark the thread as [SOLVED]. So far it looks pretty good.
    I've visited the Ubuntu One website and in Lubuntu I can download individual files, but not folders. The individual file download capability may be enough for me.

I will post the questions below about Lubuntu in a new post, but if somebody wants to answer them, please do.

QUESTIONS: I can't find Libre Office in the Lubuntu Software center. When I used Lubuntu a few weeks ago, Libre Office apps were available in the Lubuntu Software Center for download. I wonder what happened?

I am presently downloading the latest version of Firefox 28 as a .tar.bz2 file. The latest Firefox available on the Download center is 24. I guess I have to manually install Firefox 28 using Terminal. Any tips on how to do it?

Thanks again,

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 9th, 2014 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Ask question about Firefox install

Beans

QUESTIONS: I can't find Libre Office in the Lubuntu Software center. When I used Lubuntu a few weeks ago, Libre Office apps were available in the Lubuntu Software Center for download. I wonder what happened?
    Have you updated since you installed?

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans

Actually I don't even find the lubuntu software centre works. When searched for packages available it only showed installed packages. Maybe I am missing something but I would just use synaptic.

Edited: Read somewhere that lsc would work properly if run an upgrade after installation of lubuntu, and then reinstall lsc. But never tried it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 9th, 2014 at 03:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

In addition to the commands above I recommend
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove

Only download stuff as a very last resort. Firefox is updated automatically, and Libreoffice comes with the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    In addition to the commands above I recommend
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove

Only download stuff as a very last resort. Firefox is updated automatically, and Libreoffice comes with the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice
    Thank you so much. I have executed the commands given by ibjsb4 last night (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade), that released a flood of activity. I went to the Lubuntu Software Center today and Libre Office Apps were now present for download. I started to download Libre Office Writer and Impress, then I looked at this thread with Morgaes caution about not donwloading. So I tried to cancel the Office & Writer Download by clicking the cancel button several times. But it would not stop downloading. So I disconnected the ethernet cable and rebooted. I hope I did not cause problems by doing this. Did I?

And I'd like to install Libre Office Writer and Impress using the Terminal as Morgaes suggests. But I really don't want everything in Libre Office, just Writer and Impress for now.

QUESTION(S): The COMMAND "sudo apt-get install libreoffice" will install everything in Libre Office, won't it? I think there is even a Libre Office CAD/CAM program. Is there a way to just install the select Office components (Writer & Impress) using Terminal?

Where do you guys get these Terminal commands from?

Running "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" (as suggesed by Morgaes) released a flurry of activity. But "sudo apt-get autoremove" came back with just:

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Thanks to everybody for their comments and help. I think the install of Lubuntu did the trick. It seems to be faster than Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and does not suffer from the bugs in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I am enthusiastic and will continue to be a missionary for Ubuntu/Lubuntu and the support given by all of you and tell others here (where I live in the US) about it.

R.
    Last edited by AbleTassie; April 9th, 2014 at 10:10 PM.

Beans

And I'd like to install Libre Office Writer and Impress using the Terminal
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libreoffice-writer
    I'm not familiar with the Impress package

Where do you guys get these Terminal commands from?
    Maintenance commands

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ap...nance_commands

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast