Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xfce4 desktop panel etc.

Beans

Xfce4 desktop panel etc.

There are a couple of aspects which I wish to change on the xfce4 desktop if this is possible. The first one relates to the top panel. I have some difficulty reading the time and date numbers and wonder if they can be increased in size. I increased the height of the panel thinking this would increase the size of the symbols and time/date letters and numbers but i don't think it has. Secondly, the digital time clock shows up twice on the panel and I wonder if one can be removed.

There is another matter in a similar vein which I wish I could alter. The symbols one clicks to hide, enlarge or delete web pages are very small and therefore indistinct. Can these be enlarged please and if they can, how?

Beans

Re: Xfce4 desktop panel etc.

The font of the clock and window buttons on the panel is set by the default font. Change the default font and size and you also change the panel font and size.

Settings > Appearance > Fonts Tab

Two Clocks?

Right Click on Panel > Panel > Panel Preferences > Items

Check for two clock entries and remove one by selecting it and clicking the red X.

The symbols one clicks to hide, enlarge or delete web pages...
    Where are they? In the web browser?
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 7th, 2014 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordon99 View Post
    There is another matter in a similar vein which I wish I could alter. The symbols one clicks to hide, enlarge or delete web pages are very small and therefore indistinct. Can these be enlarged please and if they can, how?
    Could OP be meaning the min/max/close buttons of the window manager?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Could OP be meaning the min/max/close buttons of the window manager?
    Good call; you could be right!

In which case go to Settings-manager ->Window-manager ->Style tab and play around there to get the window control buttons that you prefer. You can change a lot of other details in that dialogue as well as just the buttons.

Beans

I have given up some time ago guessing what a poster means. In this one, I could guess that enlarge means zoom - hence a reference to Firefox's zoom buttons. And delete? There is no delete page button or icon in Firefox's UI. He or she could and should clarify the matter with a follow up post.
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 7th, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

Thanks everybody for pointing me in the right direction. I have managed to make some of the desktop adjustments I was hoping to make. You are on the ball vasa 1 when you suggested I was referring to the min-min-max-close buttons. I've not yet found how to enlarge these. Maybe one can't. Not knowing the correct terminology is sometimes the biggest difficulty in asking for help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordon99 View Post
    ... I was referring to the min-min-max-close buttons. I've not yet found how to enlarge these. Maybe one can't. Not knowing the correct terminology is sometimes the biggest difficulty in asking for help.
    I don't use Xubuntu or XFCE now but I seem to remember being told that the only way to have larger min/max/close buttons is to use a larger font in the title bar. (That is true of my current window manager, Openbox.)

But, as ajgreeny suggested, do look at Settings-manager -> Window-manager -> Style for options.

Beans

I also think you would have to use a different window manager theme with larger or different style buttons that are easier to see. Vasa1's comment about openbox and changing the font size unfortunately didn't make the window title bar wider (or buttons larger) in xfce4 window manager (looked a four themes only) - the width is fixed and it just cuts off the text.

None of the themes that come with Xubuntu looks very promising. You might try Ambiance - at least it has an orange close button that is easy to see.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.p...content=164118
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 8th, 2014 at 02:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

No the font size change suggested does nothing, but there are certainly many themes on my machine which have large and/or coloured min/max/close buttons making them easier to use, eg.
    Coloured buttons:-
    Agua
    Agualemon
    Gnububble
    Pills

Large buttons:-
    Alternate
    Atlanta
    Defcon-IV
    Gtk
    Microdeck
    Piranha
    Prune
    RedmondXP (also coloured)

And many more.

Make sure you have the xfwm4-themes package installed and you should find most if not all of them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Xfce and here's how I did it:

As far as increasing the font size for the date and time, there's only one way I know of. Install "Xfce goodies" from the software center. It's a package of programs you can add to the panel, one of which is date and time. Choosing date and time from this list includes a setting for font size. Just right click it and choose "properties".
    Don't touch the Linux hat!
    Linux user #572109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast