Thread: Windows 8 not showing in grub

Beans

Windows 8 not showing in grub

i have installed windows 8.1 on ubuntu after this i used boot-repair to fix the boot options.
    But after rebooting windows is not showing in the grub list

boot-info url -- http://paste.ubuntu.com/7213080

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows 8 not shoing in grub

Thread moved to General Help.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Windows only boots from the one primary NTFS partition with the boot flag. Second or additional installs put all boot files & configuration into that partition. So your install in sda8 will not normally be bootable except thru sda2.

You also are showing many /grldr files which are from grub4dos which is usually installed by EasyBCD. All those files may be confusing things. They are in sda1, sda2 & sda8.

You also show menu.lst in the NTFS partitions sda1 & sda2. That is from grub legacy and should be removed.
    And the rest of grub2 in /grub is also in sda1 which probably should be removed.

Boot files: /menu.lst /grub/grub.cfg /grldr /grub.exe /grldr
    /grub/core.img /KERNEL.SYS /COMMAND.COM
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

@oldfred should I delete all files in sda1 and boot from sda2 ?
    Last edited by gyan2; April 7th, 2014 at 12:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

If you can boot into Ubuntu without problem, you can try to reconfigure grub like this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc
    and re-install os-prober
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall os-prober
    I didn't see any EFI or GPT on your system, but I saw some weired report about menu.lst which leads to grub-legacy. (?)

After reconfigure grub-pc, try to update grub
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    and see if Windows detected properly this time. If not, you can try to mount the Windows partition manually and run `sudo update-grub` again. An example of manual mounting
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    sudo update-grub
    but first, follow @oldfred advice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Windows 8 not showing in grub

I would only delete /grldr files & folders. Your sda1 may be a Windows recover or a vendor recovery and any boot files in it may be needed.
    And delete grub legacy menu.lst in sda2 and the grub2 files & folders. They should not normally be in a Windows partition.

The install of grub to the NTFS partition should not have created any issues as long as you do not have duplicate /boot/grub and /Boot/BCD folders. In Windows which is not case sensitive that is one /Boot folder which cannot be duplicated and creates errors. In Linux it is case sensitive so seen as two different folders.

Although I was able to install grub to a Windows NTFS partiton and boot Windows that was in that partition, but that was not a normal install, but a flash drive with both Windows & live ISO as a master repair flash drive. But you have to be extremely careful not to overwrite a PBR or /boot as those are critical for Windows to work.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.