Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.04 "early bird" migration from XP, apps missing from USC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question 14.04 "early bird" migration from XP, apps missing from USC?

Migrating a handful of machines to Ubuntu from Windows XP and aiming for having this done before Tuesday. Using 14.04 Beta 2 images and things work great, but I am strugling a bit finding some of the apps in Ubuntu Software Center that I have installed on 13.10 on other machines e.g. Skype. This also goes for Spotify after adding the PPA. Is this because of the non-released nature of 14.04 and yet to be updated PPA's and Ubuntu Software Center?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: 14.04 "early bird" migration from XP, apps missing from USC?

Have you added the 'partner' repository?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think for Skype you need to go to the Skype website as it is not in the Trusty Repositories.
    You may have to use the Sucy version.
    Can't help with spotify.
    Have you enabled the third party repos?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

About Spotify:
    Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 94558F59
    echo "deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install spotify-client
    should do the job regardless of version...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@zika That did the trick for Spotify - not sure what mistake I did before.

@mörgæs Right now working on a Lubuntu machine (making it Lubuntu Software Center, but settings are the same, I guess) and "partner" repository are enabled. I guess Skype is not in the PPA's for 14.04 yet.

@awamunro Would prefer to have as much as possible done through official Ubuntu software "channels" rather than installing DEB files (not updated automatically, right?).

These Windows XP machines will live on with L/Ubuntu, but not with me sitting near by (TeamViewer at best), so a sturdy and not too experimental installation would be good...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just a note, the Partner repositories aren't normally populated with the latest version of anything until the day of release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, it seems I ran in to this, in many scenarios, very meaningful restriction. I have a few other examples on software that is still "on hold".

Could have been nice though, if we had prepared for the Windows XP EOL situation with some kind of "Early Bird" program allowing access to support migration without too much non-standard settings during early April, rather than having to wait for the official LTS release and have the XP machines ending up in potentially compromised with security breaches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Z80A View Post

@awamunro Would prefer to have as much as possible done through official Ubuntu software "channels" rather than installing DEB files (not updated automatically, right?).
    I think that the skype deb file installs the repo. and updates do come along, although there aren't many. There is no official Ubuntu Skype as far as I know.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Z80A View Post
    Yes, it seems I ran in to this, in many scenarios, very meaningful restriction. I have a few other examples on software that is still "on hold".

Could have been nice though, if we had prepared for the Windows XP EOL situation with some kind of "Early Bird" program allowing access to support migration without too much non-standard settings during early April, rather than having to wait for the official LTS release and have the XP machines ending up in potentially compromised with security breaches.
    For how long before users of XP knew that the end is close? Why should anything in Ubuntu (let alone schedule) be accommodated for those late birds (to use Your term... )? What do You mean by „without too much non-standard settings“?
    Is not current LTS available? Why using U+1 and complaining that is not finished yet? In the same manner end_of_life for XP was known for years Ubuntu has its own schedule well known and very punctual and predictable... What is wrong with current LTS?
    Last edited by zika; April 6th, 2014 at 08:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, okay I see, maybe that came out wrong; I was simply speculating in avoiding an LTS upgrade in a few weeks on these machines by going directly for 14.04 rather than 12.04. Thanks for putting things in perspective...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast