Thread: Evolution -- database disk image is malformed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Evolution -- database disk image is malformed

This in on a DELL Vostro 3500 with 256 GB SSD running 12.04 64-bit. Everything was running fine. I shut off PC to change locations. On restart, I get Error while generating message list, database is malformed. I did a Evolution backup about 6 hours ago, and only thing I did after the backup was to delete perhaps 100 or so messages from the inbox.

After first occurrence of the error , I checked the Internet for suggestions and followed suggestion to start evolution from the command line. That did not give errors, but inbox did not come up. I closed evoluton, and started again from icon bar. It has been several minutes now and evolution is still saying it is generating message list.

I am 4000+ miles from home office. I have two 500 GB WD Passport drives with me as well as Boot Recovery CD as well as Macrium Reflect software CD.

I have also seen suggestions about loading sqlite to fix problem.

I have meetings with clients on Monday and need to resolve situation before then.

I can limp by using webmail instead of evoluton if needed.

Thank you,

John

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Evolution -- database disk image is malformed

Looks like I bailed myself out of trouble by installing sqlite3 and running the command:
    john@john-Vostro-3500:~/.local/share/evolution/mail$ sqlite3 folders.db "pragma integrity_check;"
    ok
    then I killed all evolution related processes; deleted folders.db and restarted evolution.

There is a closed thread which describes similar steps, but since that thread was written, evolution files are in a different location.

John

Beans

Re: Evolution -- database disk image is malformed

I had the similar problem of the "Malformed database issues"

My Fix for Evo 3.8.4

Backup and close Evolution

In Caja - file manager
    Show "Hidden files"

Locate in Home folder ./local -> share -> evloultion -> mail ->

Then Identify your "problem folder" in my case (eg .pc help files) - and delete it. Yes I know this is fine if you dont want to rescue the data!!

close and restart Evo - import you saved Backup data and evertying will be there - except the folder you had that was malformed. This will get you running again.

Cheers
    Chris