Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: apache webserver networksetings disappearance on reboot

Beans

apache webserver networksetings disappearance on reboot

Hi I recently moved house before I moved my web server was running flawlessly. On unpacking and setting up desk top and servers in the attic and finally running cat5e cables all through house. On completion of the cables I used RJ45 jacks attached to both ends of the 3 cables. I used my Linksys router 4 port switch model BEFVP41 to check the connections. All working full connectivity the router reports.
    On reboot of the ubuntu apache server only eth1 was showing up I used ifconfig this confirmed it the lights on lan port switch and server were on so working
    I used this forums ubuntu networking configuration help files
    Code:
    Sudo iplink set dev eth0 down
    Sudo dhclient eth0
    Sudo ip addr add 192.168.1.14/24 dev eth0
    Sudo ip link set dev eth0 up
    Sudo ip route add defualt via 192.168.1.1
    Now the above steps did indeed fix my problem I had full control of server again inside the network and out on eth0 like it was before I moved. So I followed the above procedures replacing eth0 with eth1 sure enough this fixed eth1 problems full connectivity inside and out the network .
    The above changes are not saved to a file but rather in real memory so they need to be saved to network config file
    So I used
    Code:
    Sudo nano /ect/network/interfaces
    I added
    Code:
    Auto eth0
    Iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Auto eth1
    Iface eth1 inet dhcp
    And used ttrl O to save over write file
    Now it was very late and I was quite happy with myself so hit the sack not before I powered down desktop and servers got up this morning server has no eth0 or eth1 ifconfig -a shows they are their no ip configured what gives guys tried my dam hardest what have I done wrong
    Regards coolvibes

After again entering the above I got full connectivity on eth0 and eth1 now
    but on opening
    Code:
    Sudo nano /ect/network/interfaces
    it changes were
    Code:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

the primary network interface
    auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet dhcp
    address 192.168.1.35
    netmask 255,255,255,0
    gateweay 192.168.1.255
    also

procedure 4 Sudo ip route add defualt via 192.168.1.1
    came back with this error last night and today although up and working here is error

rtnetlink answers: file exists

thanks for looking
    Last edited by lisati; April 6th, 2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Provide more information; Added [CODE] and [/CODE] tags to aid readbility

Beans

Re: apache webserver networksetings disappearance on reboot

as I thought unexplainable cheers for looking

Beans

wow 121 Linux savvy forum users looked but no explanations strange that be. But not as strange as four of the brightest Linux gurus have LOOKED but none of them has an explanation either I made a mistake and posted it in wrong section, Or my Linux terminology is not up to scratch or may be I missed a post with the answer. at this point a no go away be appreciated kind regards.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've added [noparse][code] and [/code] to your first post to aid readability.

Were your router settings (e.g. reserving IP addresses) changed during your move?

(BTW, the usual rule for bumping unanswered threads on this forum is not to do it more than once every 24 hours)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended

Beans

funny you should mention that because on first boot at new address only eth1 was active I could communicate through internal network via putty but no web connectivity so this is when I tried to emulate conditions at old address but my problems got worse I started editing the config file got both eth0 and eth1 working flawlessly saved config file reboot now I stuck in this cycle. Every morning manually configure eth0 come out loft log on through putty get eth1 working retype settings in config file ctr o overwrite restart network.
    I used the same dhcp protocol allowing the Linux server to assign ip address in the range of 192.168.1.4 to 192.168.1.104 for my Linux side and just let windows do its normal (bollocks) excuse language , Also can not reach site outside network put in web ip and takes me to router page. yes I port forwarded 80 but have a Linksys befvap router connected to my talk talk router I use as a switch my server connects eth0 to my Linksys that's connected to windows pc and eth1 connects directly to talk talk router
    Last edited by burge38; April 6th, 2014 at 11:14 AM.

Beans

Sorry Thanks for sorting post out and answering me top user thanks!

Beans

Page 9 getting very interesting

CISCO NETWORKIN ACADEMY PROGRAM
    SECOND-YEAR
    COMPANION GUIDE
    SECOND EDITION

heavy reading 800 odd pages left please someone save me from this

Beans

It's hard to understand what you're asking - have you fixed ALL the obvious typos in your /etc/network/interfaces file?

Aside from the original incorrect capitalization:

Code:
    netmask 255,255,255,0
    gateweay 192.168.1.255
    Why are you even trying to specify address / netmask / gateway after declaring the interface to use dhcp? AFAIK it needs to be type static if you wat to do that.

Beans

my apologies for the typo but it as all from memory had no script to copy and paste

I did not that's what the file comes back at after reboot

Beans

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Auto eth0
    Iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Auto eth1
    Iface eth1 inet dhcp

is what I save file as on reboot changes to one you asked about

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast