Thread: 14.04 Lost Ability to Mount External Media

Beans

14.04 Lost Ability to Mount External Media

Am I the only one getting this problem today? This is the third problem I've ran into today in the beta and it's seriously making me want to ditch it.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: 14.04 Lost Ability to Mount External Media

I suspect this is related to a slew of other bugs introduced in the updates today, many of which seem to stem from a permissions/session start up issue. If there is an issue with polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 as suggested in this thread, it would likely be affecting the ability of the user to mount and unmount drives (and could also be related to the disappearance of the suspend/shut down/restart options from this bug).

Have you tried mounting the external device from a terminal (with sudo)? This would help confirm a permissions issue.

Beans

I was able to mount via cli just fine. No error messages
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This was happening sometime back for me, and I had stopped using thumb drives, cause system would freeze.

But after the upgrade which brought in the 3.13.0-21 kernel, this problem went away.
    I have not upgraded since.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

I observe the same with 14.04.

More annoyingly I enquired on IRC as to why this bug was marked as Low (they were more angry at the word pissed than the report), apparently mounting a USB pen drive or hard drive isn't too important for XUbuntu so they're happy with Low (and thus unlikely to be fixed prior to final release) -although granted they link upstream where its marked as Normal. Like the release before last with the 2 minute login XUbuntu is no longer an out the box distro nor does it aim to be. I may just go Unity.. Long come are the days were XUbuntu was solid (and aimed to be) aka 12.04/12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

FWIW Xubuntu 64 all the latest updates mounts usb and hard drives fine for me...it would be VERY annoying if it did not.

EDIT: Running 3.14
    Last edited by rtalcott; April 6th, 2014 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add kernel
    cheap hardware....LOTS of it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Running 3.13.0-23 there is no problem of sound.
    ~$ uname -a
    Linux nbe42 3.13.0-23-lowlatency #45-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT Fri Apr 4 07:16:25 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Guess it is time to mark this as 'Solved'
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Am I the only one getting this problem today? This is the third problem I've ran into today in the beta and it's seriously making me want to ditch it.
    I do not have xubuntu loaded at this time but I had to go into Input Devices and check mark the top 3 boxes. Even after some updates I had to go back and do the same. To me it's a bug as it only happens to Xubuntu beta and above.