Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Testers needed for PowerPC 14.04

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Re: Testers needed for PowerPC 14.04

I don't really understand why you are insisting on using 14.04 and then using an old version of Opera?.....Why not stick with 12.04 (way better performance, although I am using the mate desktop), FF31 works v well and you have midori too. I've never heard of feedly, but running a quick test for you, works with FF and after a google search (https://getsatisfaction.com/feedly/t...eedly_20_2_760 - i.e. enable html5 storage) it seems to work with midori.

I must admit I don't fully understand how supported webkit is in Ubuntu - there don't appear to be many security updates compared to FF. However, you could have a go at compiling newer versions of midori/webkit in 12.04. Applying the patches from Tobias' leopard webkit you should be able to get a fairly recent version working (the 13.10 version????).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    I don't really understand why you are insisting on using 14.04...
    To help out with testing and reporting working/not working with the latest supported Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage
    ... and then using an old version of Opera?
    Sadly, Opera no longer supports PowerPC and that's the last version they made for it; it's considerably faster on my machine than Firefox and Midori's not an option because of the segfault bug.

Why not stick with 12.04 (way better performance, although I am using the mate desktop), FF31 works v well and you have midori too.
    What's the use of testing 14.04 to stay on the unsupported 12.04? I've run any number of Ubuntu versions on this machine and can tell you from anecdotal observation and benchmarks, 14.04 runs faster than the others; although, I am selecting to run Openbox over XFCE4 right now.

I've never heard of feedly, but running a quick test for you, works with FF and after a google search (https://getsatisfaction.com/feedly/t...eedly_20_2_760 - i.e. enable html5 storage) it seems to work with midori.
    My problem wasn't with any browser, it was with some of the super-light browsers--e.g., Luakit, Xxxterm, etc.--it wasn't working. It loads perfect via Firefox and Opera, except single key shortcuts don't work in Opera.

I must admit I don't fully understand how supported webkit is in Ubuntu - there don't appear to be many security updates compared to FF. However, you could have a go at compiling newer versions of midori/webkit in 12.04. Applying the patches from Tobias' leopard webkit you should be able to get a fairly recent version working (the 13.10 version????).
    Sadly, building Midori from source still fails in 14.04, which is the point of this thread, no?
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moore.bryan View Post
    To help out with testing and reporting working/not working with the latest supported Ubuntu.
    With the greatest of respect, posting on this thread is just a waste of time. Testing ended months ago and that was when testers were needed. If you want to help out with testing then you should be using the 14.10 version, be willing to submit bugs on launchpad, look for solutions, post patches on launchpad and use the iso tracker.

What's the use of testing 14.04 to stay on the unsupported 12.04?
    12.04 is still supported. It has 5 years of support. You may nit pick and say support for Lubuntu has ended, to which I will reply, show me an update to the lubuntu-desktop that was made when it was "supported".

I've run any number of Ubuntu versions on this machine and can tell you from anecdotal observation and benchmarks, 14.04 runs faster than the others; although, I am selecting to run Openbox over XFCE4 right now.
    If it works for you then great, but that is not my experience.

My problem wasn't with any browser, it was with some of the super-light browsers--e.g., Luakit, Xxxterm, etc.--it wasn't working. It loads perfect via Firefox and Opera, except single key shortcuts don't work in Opera.

Sadly, building Midori from source still fails in 14.04, which is the point of this thread, no?
    The point of the thread was to ask for testers for 14.04 during testing time so that a PowerPC iso could be released.

Midori does build from source in 14.04. You have an application to run don't you? It is webkit that is causing the problem (does build, just doesn't work properly). There are patches available, they may not work with the version of webkit in 14.04, but they will work with some version between 12.04 and 14.04. Luakit is based on webkit so it is likely to have problems just like midori, epiphany and all the other 'kit based browsers (and applications). If you want to help out then you need to be testing these patches.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    With the greatest of respect, posting on this thread is just a waste of time. Testing ended months ago and that was when testers were needed. If you want to help out with testing then you should be using the 14.10 version, be willing to submit bugs on launchpad, look for solutions, post patches on launchpad and use the iso tracker.
    I'm on Utopic on a different machine and testing that there; testing for any PowerPC version extends well beyond the window for x86 or 64.

12.04 is still supported. It has 5 years of support. You may nit pick and say support for Lubuntu has ended, to which I will reply, show me an update to the lubuntu-desktop that was made when it was "supported".
    Completely valid point.

Midori does build from source in 14.04. You have an application to run don't you? It is webkit that is causing the problem (does build, just doesn't work properly). There are patches available, they may not work with the version of webkit in 14.04, but they will work with some version between 12.04 and 14.04. Luakit is based on webkit so it is likely to have problems just like midori, epiphany and all the other 'kit based browsers (and applications). If you want to help out then you need to be testing these patches.
    I can't even get Midori to build and I don't get a segfault with those other browsers, they just won't load certain pages.
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans

If necessary I can test the newest assembly Ubuntu for PowerPC on iMac G5 2.1GHz, Powerbook G4 1.67 2GB, iBook G4 1.3GHz 1,5Gb

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Alexey_Sergienko View Post
    If necessary I can test the newest assembly Ubuntu for PowerPC on iMac G5 2.1GHz, Powerbook G4 1.67 2GB, iBook G4 1.3GHz 1,5Gb
    @Alexey:

Great, the more people that are installing, testing, reporting bugs using PPC spins the better . . . flagging your posts with [PPC] . . . adding your machines to the QA Tracker . . . all this helps to maintain some attention for keeping PPC iso's available . . . .

e.e.p.

Beans

It become in less than 2 monts the second video more viewed on my Youtube channel! ... it means the powerpc community belive in mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2mx9lmhEuQ

Beans

Latest report:

Since I keep getting reminders on my Xu 12.04 system running on my "new" PowrMac3,1 to "upgrade to 14.04" and, thinking that the 450 MHz processor might not handle 14.04, I have hesitated. Yesterday I got out an old liveDVD perhaps from last year of Lubuntu 14.04.1 and booted it up . . . just using the term "live" . . . and a few minutes later we got into a clean resolution GUI!!!! No boot params.

Went to "set time and date" and the words on top of the window were "scattered" . . . but, set the time. Then tried to launch FF . . . from the toolbar . . . nothing happened. I tried from the LXDE menu, nothing, then a window saying, "FF is already running" . . . but it wasn't. Launched the Terminal to test speed of "apt-get update" . . . in 12.04 it takes quite a bit of time to work through "100%" of the list . . . here, in 14.04 it was faster, not as fast as LM17.1 in my MBPro, but, "fast enough" . . . so seems like the old processor can do better with 14???

Back to FF, so far nothing, tried to log out of live session and back in . . . still, no FF window . . . then, better half demands my presence at the dinner table, so I try to "quit" or "reboot" . . . goes to lightdm window, I click, "reboot" and, nothing . . . 20 mins later I come back, screen is black, I press the space bar a number of times, and then I get the "system going down for restart, tray will open," etc . . . .

So, kind of "mixed bag" . . . didn't seem like xorg.conf or boot params was needed to get clean GUI, but, then, no FF and no fast "reboot." Might try to use the "Software Services" method to upgrade to 14.04 . . . seems like the 12.04 side is bogging down in today's internet, and, no "suspend" . . . makes it less practical for all-around use . . . but, I'd like to test out a liveDVD, perhaps a recent spin of 14.04.2 will be "poifect"????
    e..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456